86 Mercury 25xd issues

mcgeeboathouse

Recruit
When attempting to start my 1986 mercury 25xd the flywheel engages and spins. I have put brand new spark plugs and there is no evidence to my knowledge of wiring issues. I think the fuel is getting into the system. With use of starter fluid it will run until it burns up. I am open to any suggestions. My dad and I have racked our brains over this. It is like the engine tries to start but just can't get that initial velocity to start up. I know I am kind of vague on the details here, but maybe someone can help. Thanks a lot!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 86 Mercury 25xd issues

Howdy, McGee.

Welcome to iboats. :)

First: Never use starter fluid in a 2 stroke. No lubrication can destroy your engine. It is perfectly okay to spray/squirt fuel mix, though.

You almost certainly have a fuel supply trouble. Most likely suspect is the carburetor, but there are other possibilities.

Before you start any surgery, go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do the troubleshooting in "Outboard won't start". Let us know what you find.

Good luck. :)

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you definatly have fuel problems, but for future reference never use starting fluid , a gas oil mix is fine but if your carb is right you wouldnt need that eaither, if i was you i would pull and clean and rebuild the carb and also check if not rebuild the fuel pump it is cheap and sounds like most of your prob is one of the two

mcgeeboathouse

Recruit

Interesting, my father suspected the carb. but we did not think about the pump. Thanks a lot. I am extremely new to this forum, but I think you'll see me on here a lot more! :rolleyes:. I will check the faq page that I didn't even know existed! lol. I'll let you know how it goes!

mcgeeboathouse

Recruit

is it possible that the fuel pump is the same piece as the carb??? I will attach some pics here.

here is where the gas is fed in
HPIM0495.jpg

that goes to the fuel filter

HPIM0496.jpg

this is where I think it gets tricky. This is the only thing that I would think could be the fuel pump. This next picture is the side of the carb. I think the plate might be to the fuel pump, but I don't want to take it off unless Im semi-certain.

HPIM0498.jpg

this is what the piece looks like from the front.

HPIM0498.jpg

I have no idea if this helps, but its fun! :)

humdogj

Cadet

Did you ever get this worked out? I'm running into similar problems with my dad's pontoon.