installing 1986 90 hp merc. lower uint

Edison

Cadet
looking for tips like....what position should i have the control in??? and what about the lower uint??? I've tryed a few things like turning the prop and seeing if the shaft turns with it that only happens in reverse is that normal? should i install it with the control an the lower uint in reverse??:confused:

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: installing 1986 90 hp merc. lower uint

If you don't have power trim and need the engine tilted up for enough room ta remove the drive shaft: Forward.

If you have room to leave the engine upright: neutral.

Don't dry shift an inline into reverse, (every few times it will ruin yer shift dogs in the remote shifter), n' you will be sorry ya did it.

Good luck. JR

Edison

Cadet

what your saying is dont shift the lower uint into reverse.i alredy did hope i didnt mess it up. how do you know when the lower uint is in nutral.

OldMercsRule

Captain

what your saying is dont shift the lower uint into reverse.i alredy did hope i didnt mess it up.

You will know if the remote shifter dosen't werk, (you will have to tear down and replace the dogs). It doesn't do it every time, but it does happen enough ta make ya feeeeeel real silly about spendin' time n' money ta fix it since you have been warned.

how do you know when the lower uint is in nutral.

If it is still attached to the power head and corntrol when the lever is stright up. :D JR