Help Transducer Placement on Fishmaster 1960

hriley010

Cadet
I have a 2004 Fishmaster 1960 that was made by Kenner. I am trying to install a Humminbird 797c2 fish finder and I have already struck out once. I put the transducer on the outside of the hull on the back of the boat to the right of the indented area of the hull and it losses bottom signal at any speed higher than idle. I tried it under the spot where it is now and the same thing. I am mounting it in the hull now and I hope this works, but if not... Could it be that the wires to my Suzuki 140 4-stroke could be causing my interference or the fact that the battery the transducer is connected to is the same as the one that runs the big motor? Any help would greatly appreciated, I am tired of being the guy that can?t get it right. Also if you know how to post the pic I took of it that might help or I could email it to you.

Attachments

• 1IMG_0111.JPG
    1IMG_0111.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Help Transducer Placement on Fishmaster 1960

Don't waist time mounting in hull, SI will not work. I'll post latter on a number of options. SI transducer positioning takes some patience.

John_S

Rear Admiral

A great source for allot of HB side imaging info, including transducer placement: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

OK, getting a good left and right SI, along with good 2D at speed, can be a big challenge. Keep in mind, that the proffesional SI systems generally use a tow-fish that is a ways behind the boat, clear of any obstructions or wakes.

For the best SI, boat needs to be traveling in a general straight line at about 3-12mph. While it can track at higher speeds, allot of detail gets lost. For 2D at speed, the transducer needs to be slightly below the bottom of the boat. Where you have the bracket mounted, I would have expected a good right side SI, a partially blocked left side SI (motor, other obstructions), and 2D, upto 5-6mph, when you are probably getting allot of turbulance of the water.

Suggestions:
- Do not keep drilling new holes in boat.
- Purchase portable (suction cup) bracket for Compact SI transducer.
- Test all possible locations, before final decission.
- Get good SI first, then 2D.
- Only go upto 15-20mph max, and make sure transducer can not reach prop, in case it comes off.
- Once location found, use starboard or transducer plate, permanantly mounted.
- Can drill numerous holes in plate without going into transom.

HB does offer a few products to help on real troublesome boats.

- A Y-splitter cable = SI on current transducer, 2D on a seperate (need to purchase) 2D transducer. This allows for seperate placement, and easier to accomplish the goals above. Also can use an inhull 2D transducer, with transom SI.

- A SI Y-splitter cable = seperate transducer for left, and a (need to purchase) to get ideal left and right SI images.

timalabim

Seaman

Where your transducer bracket is in the pic, it looks like it would be out of the water when you are up on plane and riding on the lower part of the step hull. I had the same issue on my 4 winns and actually put the td on the low part of the step hull down next to the speed pickup tube.

John_S

Rear Admiral

timalabim is correct, you will never get a good 2D lock at speed, in that location. Many people do put the SI on the setback, and use the splitter and mount a seperate 2D transducer. Many bass firerman mount the SI at the bottom of the jack-plate, and 2d in the hull.

hriley010

Cadet

OK, so the $1000 fishfinder works in the hull somewhat, as long as you don't care about the side imaging. I do, so I took it back out moved it way down on the back of the boat in the indented area and hung it about an inch and a half below the boat and it held the bottom reading ok at 35mph in 5 foot of water. I don't claim to be the all knowing guru on this but I think a $1000 fishfinder should work as good a the $130 Eagle I took off the boat. I can't wait until Lowrance come out with it's side imaging. By the way I bought this because I fish a few amature tournaments and one of them this year has a million dollar payout with 1st place going at $250,000. I wanted the extra advantage.

hriley010

Cadet

sorry, i copied and pasted from word and didn't type anything about the thanks you's i should say to you guys for the help and suggestions i filled the holes that i had driled and mounted the plate, i just have to be carefull when loading it back on the boat so it doesn't hit. but bottom in 5' at 30mph is fine for me. i know a lot guys like their speed but i'm ok under 50mph... guess i'm getting old.