1975 e-rude 4hp

sdcoll

Cadet
i recently acquired a 4hp evinrude model#4536A long shaft,i notice at the bottom of the gear casing that the extension adapter that makes it a long shaft is removable.i went on there parts list and notice that the extension has a bunch of parts also but my question is........whats needed to make it a short shaft?do i need extra parts to do this or simply just remove the extension that makes it a short shaft.another words is there a separate drive rod or does the extension just adds to that drive rod shaft to make it longer.......its a little hard to explain i guess...did anyone else do this?thankz for the help

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1975 e-rude 4hp

It's not all that clear on the parts site. Normally for other engines you would have to use a different drive shaft, exhaust housing, etc. Best thing would be to pull your leg and see but I think you will have to buy the parts not just remove the extension. Rick.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You'll need to remove the extension piece, shorten the water tube by 5" and replace the drive shaft with a standard length one. (318428 and $100 if its the standard drive not a weedless one)
Just possible for a good machine shop to shorten the existing shaft by 5" I suppose

sdcoll

Cadet

wow 100 bucks huh oh well i guess it will have to stay long ....thankz guys