replacement steering cable? pulley style

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
my vintage runabout has steering via that plastic coated steel cable, with pulleys rigged up at the corners. not near as nice and smooth as a teleflex cable, but virtually impervious to salt water. :)

anyway, my cable is becoming a little natty looking, with some of the plastic sheathing pulled back in places. still works fine, but somwhere down the list of to-do items, i want to get new cable.

i know i've seen it around, but i don't remember where, and what to call it? anyone give me the correct verbiage for a google search or to ask someone in a hardware store?

thanks,
peter

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: replacement steering cable? pulley style

hi peter.....there is a stickey in the maintenence section that has the diagramme.....

i use the rubber coated clothes line...but tashasdaddy is pro on all that kind of hard ware.....look for the stickey or hit search

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Any of the big box stores have the braided steel cord coated with vinyl. Don't use clothesline stuff. Make sure the cable will fit down in your pulleys securely and inspect/lube all your pulleys before you replace the cable.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops, and tm... most excellent tips! i'll go chase down that sticky. sorry i missed it. one of my other forums is very rigid about searching before asking, and usually i'm pretty good about it. i just wasn't sure which search terminology to use, since "cable steering" could be teleflex or pulley-type.

-peter