what went wrong w/ 112 spl

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone, Im in process of rebuilding my 112 spl outboard and everything is going smooth so far. Looks like I had a hot spot in cylinder 1 which broke piston up between ring and top. Fortanetly no severe damage to bore. Power head is in back of my truck right now going to machine shop this afternoon.
I'm not a DR at diagnosing failure. First time rebuild, I can say I was lazy when it came to maintenance of motor. No decarb in 5-6 years. Cooling system looks ok, had the water pump change bout 3 yrs ago and always flushed motor. It is 100% saltwater. mixed gas 50-1, and alway used muffs when out of water.
I will outsource carbs to get rebuilt. Will they be able to tell me anything?
Sorry for long post, but I dont want to get this thing in water and have same problem. Thanks ,,,, Joe

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what went wrong w/ 112 spl

I have a 1995 rude 88 spl and am assuming the carbs are the same on yours and mine.I wouldn't pay someone to rebuild them cause it is very simple to do yourself.very few parts and little or no adjustment to make,basically take it apart,soak all metal parts [not plastic ones]over night, remove orifices and run wire through them all and through all the holes in the carb that you find.reassemble with new gaskets,floats,etc....Hope this helps

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whether you have someone else do the carbs or you do it yourself, here are several things I would also consider before putting it back on the water.
Fuel lines: They're cheap to replace, and no matter how much you clean the carbs, that won't stop anything in the fuel lines from keeping fuel out of your cylinders, and no fuel means no lube.
You said the cooling was done 3 years ago, but you really should look into replacing the water pump impeller at least, just to be safe.
Also, while the block is apart, make sure all water passages are free of debris, and possibly even install a new t-stat while you're at it (yours probably has 2 due to the 4cyl).
Just a couple of low cost repairs/maintenance items that could save you hundreds later on.

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good info guys!!! I will rebuild and clean carbs myself. So far the oem shop manual is making everything real simple. On this rebuild, is it necessary to pull the covers (water?) off the tops of heads? Never been opened, so far all water passages are pretty clear and little ring water deflectors were intact in block. Im taking shop manual w/ specs to machine shop this afternoon, so we can see if everything is within tolerances.