CD Player HELP!!

cbrown54

Cadet
I need some help with the CD player, it turns on but it is not playing through the speakers, could there be a fuse or something or is this just bad wires??

thanks

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: CD Player HELP!!

are the speakers new?
do they work?
Just double check the wires going to the speakers, and make sure they are not reversed.
Make sure the volume is up, and music is playing.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

For all the wires or speakers to go bad all at once is unlikely. However some radios will shut down their internal amplifiers if a speaker is at a dead short. Try disconnecting all of the speakers and either hooking up a known good speaker or just one at the time. If the speakers play continue hooking them up until you find one that doesn't work.

If you disconnect them all and none of them play on any wire you could have a speaker lead that has been pinched or cut and is shorting out. The easiest way to find a shorted speaker wire is to hook the speakers back up then snip each speaker lead where it is soldered/crimped to the factory wiring. These wires are normally Gray/Gray w stripe, White/White w/ stripe, Green/Green w/stripe, Purple/Purple w/stripe Gray/White are your front speakers, Green/Purple are the rears... As you're snipping if the radio suddenly starts playing then you've found the offending speaker wire..

If the radio never starts playing then the last wire you snipped was possibly it or the internal amplifier is shot. Connect a known good speaker directly to the leads coming off of the radio and test for sound... If you have no sound the internal amp is shot.

The exception to this method is if the radio is quite old and is wired common ground. In this case you won't have wires with stripes, all the negatives to the speakers will be tied together.

cbrown54

Cadet

thanks for the info, i will try this i havent really looked at the problem yet im just trying to see what i will need to be looking for.

Thanks