What is this?

QC

Supreme Mariner
do49kk.jpg

I got this with my Chris Replica project and I am cleaning out the garage . . . A lot of the stuff I got was more hot rod than boat as the Chris and Hot Rod guys use a lot of eachother's crapola, so I was thinking non-boat. Maybe part of floor shift mechanism?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What is this?

I have been giving this some thought and it appears pretty hefty.

Is there a trim plate option for the hull? I recall on my friends drag boat (my memories of terror on the lake 25 years ago) he had a foot activated tab along the back of the boat and it took substantial pressure to activate. That might be that linkage.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It looks very similar to the linkage used on the old pedals used for engaging the starter motor. This would be the period before the invent of using the ignition switch.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Friend of mine has an old homebuilt inboard boat.
That looks a lot like the linkage for the accelerator pedal...as Dunaruna already pointed out.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Let me clarify . . . When I picked up this boat he gave me everything he had been collecting for a couple of years that he might use on it eventually. He burned out before anything was actually used. The hull has never been wet, never been finished, never had anything other than epoxy attached to it. Stringers are bare, no holes anywhere, nothing ever mounted, basically unfinished but new. He is a classic Chris Craft guy and went to garage sales etc and grabbed anything remotely related. Some of the items are truck and car parts as they used a lot of those items back in the 40s when they built these things new.

I have three steering boxes for example, all automotive, Lot's of linkage parts, some go together some don't. I am getting around to selling off the stuff I am not going to use and that item ^^^^^ has confused me. The only thing Chris related that might use something that hefty is the floor shifter, but it doesn't line up with anything and I have found the rest of it's moutning assembly and not even close. BTW, I am not going to use that either, I am going with a typical contemporary control. I was kind of guessing that thing was from a clutch or brake pedal from a small truck, but that's as much help as I can give to the question.

I have decided to set this boat up more retro than replica. It isn't a classic boat, but a classic replica type. So I am going to use classic styling cues, but mostly newer hardware etc. With that plan now determined, I am starting to sell off all of the extra stuff. I have a ton . . .

Any one recognize this:

34z15pu.jpg

24vvalt.jpg

It is upside down and the star shaped disc is a threaded cap like for fuel or something, the thing sticking out the side is a schrader valve. The "pipe" diameter is around 3 inches.