1962 johnson seahorse 40

I have a 62 40 (RDS-24L) which runs great and has a dc generator . I don't have the regulator. Does any one know the part # or if another regulator will work. I have heard that an older model ford regulator will work. If this is true, does anyone know of a part # or cross reference? TY in advance for your help.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1962 johnson seahorse 40

I have a few of those 40's in the shed also. But none with generators. I have also heard about the Ford thing but don't know any details... Sorry.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are a ton of car regulators that look like they will work, but don't be deceived. You need a 12 volt, three unit, 10 amp regulator. AND, it has to be the type that grounds the field to make it charge. Many of them send 12V to the field to make it charge.

Most car regulators are set at more than 10 amps, and therefor, even if it does work on your outboard, it will burn up the generator armature.

Get the idea what I'm saying yet?

The correct regulator is part number 377001, replaced by 381538, about $95 from a Johnson or Evinrude dealer.

There is a Harley Davidson 10 amp solid state regulator that will work. You will have to have some knowledge of how to hook it up.

I get what you are saying; TY for the advice. Although I am basicly piecing this thing together from junk there is no sense in ruining the generator. There is a boat junk yard near by mabey I can find a working regulator there. If not I'll just have to cough up the $95 :( or just run without the charger.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I run mine without the generator. I had one on one of my 40's and I couldn't keep the saltwater from trashing it, so I gave up on them. The motor will easily run all day (even with an electric shift) on a good battery. With a manual shift, all the battery is doing is powering the starter.