8 ft sevylor fish hunter

fakeplay

Banned
Hi, I just got a brand new sevylor 8 ft fish hunter at a yard sale for 5 bucks. box was never opened. so I went out and bought a used 2 hp johnson seahorse. My question is is this motor going to move me in the water ? the boat weighs 17lbs and I weigh, (well never mind what I weigh) I'm going to try it in piscataqua river in portsmouth NH near the naval ship yard. Has anyone had a simular set up as what I have ? Thanks:eek:

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: 8 ft sevylor fish hunter

Hi fakeplay,

Of course it will move you through the water, but it won't move you very fast. That boat does not have a rigid floor and the more power you apply, the more the boat just wants to fold in half instead of coming on plane. A trolling motor, or 2hp motor or 10hp motor all will move it the same speed, about 5mph.

I'm not familiar with the Piscataqua river, but I would suggest going upstream first. ;)

fakeplay

Banned

I made a nice strong light weight floor and made a sturdy transom instead of the cheesy one coleman sells for it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I've got a Sevylor inflatable (2 if you count the kayak).
Just be careful. Those PVC boats have a tendency to get holes and cuts in 'em real easy. They also get soft in the sun.
DR is right- it's not going to move you very fast. I only ever used an electric trolling motor on mine. It was great for fishing or just hangin' out on the water but don't expect to get it on plane.