1984 75hp Mercury

qball6544

Recruit
I have a 1984 75HP mercury outboard engine. A couple of times while I was running it, it rand good then lost power. After a while it picked up its power. The last time I ran the boat it was running fine and all of a sudden I went to a slow idle run for about 2 mins and died. Since then it will not crank. I will appreciate any advice that can be given to me about this problem.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 75hp Mercury

I have a 1984 75HP mercury outboard engine. A couple of times while I was running it, it rand good then lost power. After a while it picked up its power. The last time I ran the boat it was running fine and all of a sudden I went to a slow idle run for about 2 mins and died. Since then it will not crank. I will appreciate any advice that can be given to me about this problem.
Get a manual, Manuel -- a SELOC manual from iBoats, not chilton or haynes

Your troubles could have one or several of nine dozen explanations most of which can be eliminated through the logical progression described in your new SELOC.

When you've followed that route, if you're still stumped, you'll be able refine your question considerably to get the attention of some of these old salts around here who can guide you through that last mile to a resounding ringing of the success gong.

Best of all, when you're back on the water, you'll have spent less than you would have, had you sent the motor to that tattoo'd dope smoker down at your local boat shop that passes for a "technician", and you can at last garner the admiration of your significant other for your raw mechanical prowess, admiration that to this point has been notably lacking, yes?

qball6544

Recruit

yes I have. At first it had a light spark and now it doesn't have any. It is also getting fuel. Some one told me that the sparks on the mercury should jump one to two inches with a strong spark. When it did spark it wasn't nowhere near that strong.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

1 to 2 inches? Someone told you wrong. It should have a blue spark about 7/16" long. Anything less and it may not be sparking under compression.