1988 Evinrude 25hp controls

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
I eventually want to add a small console to my aluminum boat and add steering. I was just wondering where I can find steering kits and do they have aftermarket brands?

If someone could just point me in the right direction, id appreciate it. I just want to look at a few and get an idea.

thanks

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Evinrude 25hp controls

Right at the top of this page.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

so they dont sell a total kit for it? Its like reading a foreign language when I look at that stuff and trying to compare it to what I need.

jasper60103

Commander

TD can answer your questions. I sent him a PM.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

thanks...I will need the hardware to connect to my motor, then the cables, then the control knobs...right?

when I am talking about the knobs, do I have to have a certain kind to match my cables, or can I get any of the older regular control knobs and hook them up?

thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

things are not very clear as to what you have. you will need a set of controls for shift and throttle, these are Johnson/Evinrude items, does the motor have electric start?

the stick steering system is very simple, it comes with the stick helm, and cable length you order. does you motor have the tilt tube? some 88 25's do some don't. if you have a tilt tube, you just need the link arm from the cable to the motor.

some pictures of you boat and motor would really help me help you.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

What is the tilt tube? I will send some this evening. Its not electric start.

thanks

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

Im sorry I havent updated this post, but I forgot to take a close picture of my motor...I will try and remember. I will attach some pictures of my boat though. I want to build a small simple center console. Have a steering wheel. Thats it. I might put a graph on there or something, but Just a steering wheel. I want 1 control that does the shifting and throttle. Is there a special one my boat takes, or any can be synced.

The front of my 25 has a bar that accepts some sort of control, as well as the shift lever.

thanks

ohh, my boat isnt electric start, but that isnt a problem. It wont bother me if I dont have that.

Attachments

• jon1.jpg
    jon1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • jon2.jpg
    jon2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • jon4.jpg
    jon4.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

If the steering wheel setup and controls aren't specific to the size of the outboard, I could probably pick up some used stuff at a boat yard down the road from me.

Like say could I pull a steering wheel and controls from an evinrude / johnson setup if its a 35 or 45hp? and does the year matter?

thanks