Alarm going off

Hi All my second question of today

I have a 05 2052, As soon as I put the key in the ignition my alarm goes off until I start the boat. This has always happened (I have had the boat 1 year)is this normal? I thought it was an oil pressure thing until the engine started but not I am not so sure now.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Peter

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alarm going off

I have a 2359 and the same thing happens to me.....I believe it is a sensor that detects the gasoline fumes...I assume it is an inboard...open the engine cover or turn on the circulating fan / blower for a few minutes prior to starting....it is there for a safty feature as fumes will settle in the hull and could possibly ignite when the engine is turned over, so it is my guess that this is supposed to happen

Byter

Cadet

Hi All my second question of today

I have a 05 2052, As soon as I put the key in the ignition my alarm goes off until I start the boat. This has always happened (I have had the boat 1 year)is this normal? I thought it was an oil pressure thing until the engine started but not I am not so sure now.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Peter

Do you mean when you put the key in and turn on power (i.e. before cranking the engine) or when you just put the key in. If option 1, then it's normal, as long as it goes off after the engine is started. From the Mercruiser Owners Manual:

Testing The Audio Warning System
1. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position without cranking the engine.
2. Listen for the audio alarm. The alarm will sound if the system is functioning correctly.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HOOKED.....did you ever figure it out ???

throphy07

Cadet

This is as stated above verry normal.
The alarm goes off due to missing oil preassure (since the engine is not running). The alarm continues until sufficent oilpreassure is obtained. Typically a few seconds after the engine has started.

Throphy07 (with 2052 1.7l cmd, 2006):)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

The audible alarm system on a Mercruiser monitors three different things...depending on your setup.

1. Oil pressure (min 4 psi)...buzzes until the engine builds up mininum pressure.
2. Engine temperature...buzzes when the temperature exceeds a set point.
3. Outdrive gear oil level...used with a bilge installed 'clear' reservoir. This will buzz if the gear lube falls to a set (low) level.

You can remove the oil pressure switch lead (tan/blue), and the alarm will not sound using the key. The other two monitors (temp and gear oil) will still be monitored...but you would only hear the buzzer IF there was a problem.

A pretty simple, and effective, alarm system!