Merc 15hp 4 stroke possible upgrade

fishing2

Recruit
I have a 2004 Merc. 15hp 4 stroke I'm wondering if there is a way to upgarde it without tearing it all apart, is there a carburetor change that can be done to acheve this or just get the 20hp. I just need that little more. Any advice is better than none.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Merc 15hp 4 stroke possible upgrade

Nothing on the 4 stroke. That littlebit more that you need? Power? Speed? Consider a prop change.

fishing2

Recruit

I have tried a prop chage I had and 8 and went to a 7 and lost 12Kl I went from 36Klm per hour to 24 came out of the hole better but topped out very quick and rev limiter kick in. In my prince craft resorter me and another person it works great 36Klm. but put a kid in it that way 50Lbs or more and forget it most times it won't get out of the hole hate to give up best trolling and chance a 20Hp not ideling down.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a good chance those 5 HP would yield very little noticeable difference in overall performance since the two engines are the same displacement. If the boat is rated to handle a 25 that would be the next logical step. You rarely hear of anyone complaining about too much power but there all sorts of complaints about not enough.