Mechanic Wants to saw my driveshaft in half

moreheadnc

Cadet
I own an 89 Evinrude 225, had the boat three years, have not replaced the water pump, the previous owner had not replaced it in the five years he owned it.

Took the boat to the local dealer to replace last spring, they could not get the lower unit off and wanted me to release them from responsibility if lower unit was damaged. Told them no way but asked them to test pump, tested fine. Ran boat all last summer.

Last week took the boat to the local 2-stroke guru to replace the pump and magnets in the flywheel. This guy is an older fella with a very clean and well equipped shop at his house and a yard full of nice boats and motors. He explained that the drive shaft is frozen in the power head and recommends cutting about 6" below the lower engine cover into the midsection approx. 2.5" to cut the driveshaft in half so he can remove the lower unit and also pull the powerhead so he can remove the shaft. Says he has done this a number of times, no problems. I am really sketchy about anybody cutting into my motor with a saws all. Have any of you encountered a frozen driveshaft holding your lower unit on? Any input is greatly appreciated on how it was handled. This pump has to be replaced, went fishing this morning and the rev limiter went off for the first time (didn't even know the motor had one)

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mechanic Wants to saw my driveshaft in half

Ya that your only choice unless you want to beat on it with a sledge hammer?
It will cost a pretty $$ but it needs to be done.
That's what happens when you don't take care of things (previous owners fault) that's why i am weary of buying motors form random people unless they have a clean recorded service to the motor, Getting form a shop u get a warranty and its been fully serviced and cheeked out. I got screwed on my first motor cause the guy lied about everything on it.
Matt

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you could try pulling the powerhead loose & hanging it from a hoist with the weight of the boat pulling down on it. may work but it could take days.good luck. rick

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It's not that uncommon especially on motors that have been neglected service-wise. If the driveshaft is stuck in the crank the d/s splines are probably shot anyway. The objective is to save the crank. Hopefully the splines in the crank will be OK. If you can figure out another way to get the shaft out it'd be great to pass it along.

Your motor has a rev limiter but I doubt that's what "went off". I'd bet the hot horn went off and the motor went into S.L.O.W. (speed limiting overheat warning). The rpm should have been limited to somewhere in the mid to upper 2000 range. The actual rev limiter is at either 6200 or 6700 depending on which pack you have.

moreheadnc

Cadet

It was the s.l.o.w. not the rev limiter, and it was around 26-2800 RPM. I just sold my house and have no shop, apartment living is my life for the next 6 months so hanging the motor really isn't an option for me. I would just like to be able to tell the mechanic what I would like to try and offer some suggestions rather than simply saying "NO" to his suggestion.

Thanks again for the input fellas.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Before sawing or cutting anything try this first. I have been lucky and removed 3 this way. Remove all bolts from lower unit. Install 2 new side bolts in front holes 2 inches longer than original. Get a old damaged aluminum prop and bend the heck out of 2 blades with hammer and install. Take boat to a ramp and back in and trim down so skag is about 6 inches off bottom of ramp if possible. Start engine and hold kill switch, put in gear and slowly rev up to 3500 rpm and back down several times and check to see if gap has opened up between midsection and lower unit. The boat will shake like crazy but the engine heat and vibration will sometimes make unit drop free. If it drops to far the engine will rev so pull kill switch!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

This has been known to work on old Chryslers: Make a smaller hole in the housing and go in there with an air hammer and pound/vibrate the heck out of the drive shaft to beat the rust loose. Dunno about the 225, that's a pretty hefty shaft.

Don't want to discourage you, but the crankshaft is in grave danger of being shot (splines rusted out). If so, you are talking mega-bucks.

Please don't be so hard on your mechanics. They are trying their best to help you. A lot of guys would have told you to take a hike by now.

a70eliminator

Captain

That sound almost as drastic as going for a short ride in my truck with the lugnuts loose to break free a seized wheel hub, it works!

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Before sawing or cutting anything try this first. I have been lucky and removed 3 this way. Remove all bolts from lower unit. Install 2 new side bolts in front holes 2 inches longer than original. Get a old damaged aluminum prop and bend the heck out of 2 blades with hammer and install. Take boat to a ramp and back in and trim down so skag is about 6 inches off bottom of ramp if possible. Start engine and hold kill switch, put in gear and slowly rev up to 3500 rpm and back down several times and check to see if gap has opened up between midsection and lower unit. The boat will shake like crazy but the engine heat and vibration will sometimes make unit drop free. If it drops to far the engine will rev so pull kill switch!!

Its crazy enough to work. You might look like a dumb *** but hell if it saves $$$ then what the hell.
Matt

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 89 crank has the longer end than the newer engines so a 1986-1991 crank will interchange. These can be found fairly cheap and if you need one I have several already polished (Edit: contact him by Personal Message, no negotiation of the open forum)

moreheadnc

Cadet

Faztbullet,
If I understand correctly, do I change out the bolts and make a couple of runs right there near the boat ramp or do you keep the boat on the trailer but in the water? Also, does oil seep out when the unit starts to separate? It does sound kinda crazy but I would be willing to try it If I can find a prop. Thanks for the suggestion.

moreheadnc

Cadet

Please don't be so hard on your mechanics. They are trying their best to help you. A lot of guys would have told you to take a hike by now.[/QUOTE]

I think you misinterpreted my tone, but thank-you for taking the time to provide an idea that I will suggest to him if I am unable to free the driveshaft.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Faztbullet,
If I understand correctly, do I change out the bolts and make a couple of runs right there near the boat ramp or do you keep the boat on the trailer but in the water? Also, does oil seep out when the unit starts to separate? It does sound kinda crazy but I would be willing to try it If I can find a prop. Thanks for the suggestion.

The oil wont leak out. Take the 6 or so bolts off. Since the shaft is stuck it wont drop out so get 2 new bolts that are about 2" longer. This is so if the shaft does drop the whole lower unit wont come off. And yes back in the water so it can pull in water and not over heat and the prop in water will shake the shaft lose. Don't back in so far that the lower unit fills with water!
So you will want to do it relay early or late at night when their is no waves to splash inside the case if it does loosen. Even without bending the prop this might free it up some.
Matt

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The lower unit will not fill with water. It's totally submerged anyway.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

?? if it does open up it will fill with water if you are in to deep.
Matt

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Nope. The lower unit by itself can be dunked in water and no water will get inside.

Think about it - when the lower unit is on the motor it's completely underwater anyway. As long as the seals are OK no water will get into the case.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Ya i see i blanked on that...... Thanks i was thinking of...
Matt