Can you tell which is positive?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Getting ready to put the battery in the boat and noticed that the posts could use a cleaning. So I cleaned them. Then remembered how hard it is to read the + or - signs on the posts with the battery in the box under the transom cap.

Soooo.... Grabbed a can of spray paint and marked the positive post.

Ph2009-01-29Bayliner00050.jpg

Yep, I am board and have too much time on my hands.... :D:D:D

Oh, yea, after charging and sitting for two days, the voltage reads 12.9volts. So I guess its just fine.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Can you tell which is positive?

Sounds like it's in good shape, marking the post is something more of us should do, I can think of several times over the years I've started to connect the battery cables backwards because I didn't identify the positive terminal correctly.

max!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yup you are bored! ;)

a70eliminator

Captain

800 CCA wow thats one BIG battery, looks good. Some guys prefer to loose the wingnuts in favor of stainless steel nuts tightened with a wrench.

fishrdan

Admiral

Nope not too much time on your hands,,, if that were the case you would have painted the negative terminal black too :D:D:D

Actually that's a pretty good idea since your subconscious will probably always notice the red and think positive,,, without having to identify the + sign.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it's as important to have your cables positively marked as well. Hook them up backwards and you're frying something!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nope not too much time on your hands,,, if that were the case you would have painted the negative terminal black too :D:D:D

Actually that's a pretty good idea since your subconscious will probably always notice the red and think positive,,, without having to identify the + sign.

DOH! Wait a minute, I think there is some black paint out in the shed....

:D

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good idea i used to do that all the time until my friend did the same and mismatched the colors and fried a few things in his dozer. I found it relay funny idk why he didn't. :D
I'm going to do that when i get my new deep cycle an motor i don't want to f anything up for a few years at lest. Do you have a plastic battery box? I'm thinking of building one out of 3/4 plywood and coating it with some leftover bed liner.
Matt