Rotten deck?

Hi, I recently took ownership of the boat below, and it had been stood outside in the Scotich weather for over 4 years and was half full of water, which took hours to empty! The deck certainly feels sturdy enough but when I looked into the bow from underneath the console I noticed a sheet of ply that was the same level as the deck, but was just black mush! Obviously this bit had not been coated in resin but what is the underside of the rest of the deck likely to be like? Will I need to rip it out and replace it?

Cheers.

Attachments

• inner front.jpg
    inner front.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rotten deck?

Will I need to rip it out and replace it?

Ayuh,... Probably... Drill a few small holes,+ check the wood for Rot...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

..... had been stood outside in the Scotich weather for over 4 years and was half full of water..... when I looked into the bow from underneath the console I noticed a sheet of ply that was the same level as the deck, but was just black mush!..... Will I need to rip it out and replace it?

Cheers.

I would have to guess that seeing as there is already " black mush" (which is a very common description of rotten wood on these boards) that everything needs to be removed and replaced. That means the deck, stringers and probably transom.

Sitting full of water for 4 years does have its drawbacks. :D

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll drill a few holes and hope for the best but expect the worse!

zach103

Commander

your most likely going to have to rip it out.. read some of the completed projects.. than ask here if you have any questions.

Well I've just drilled a large test hole, and I can't believe the deck felt as sturdy as it was! The plywood had completely delaminated as is a 'black soup' in the bottom! On the plus side, from what I've seen so far the stringers and the transom seem ok, anyway, time to go and rip that deck out!

Could anyone point me to the best thread for removal/instalation of a new deck?

Cheers

zach103

Commander

take a look at "pics of work so far" and the "hull ext"by oops.. theres a couple others just having a brain fart