Compass Mounting

AC30301998

Cadet
Dear Nautical folks

A few years ago I was given a Richie Voyager S-87 Surface Mount Compass. I Currently own a 21 foot cuddy cabin. the bows top deck is a common walkway where the middle section of the windshield flips open and allows walking access into the cockpit. Since this common walkway is the only section of dash over the keal of the boat, for sure the compass would be in the way. Is there a way I can off-set the compass enough to have it in the center of the side driver seat.. If not, can I build a box that would hold the compass and sit center (keal) of the dash? Somthing that had a jig on the dash that centered the box eveytime you set it down. How accurate would the compass be if i kept moving it around everytime?

AC30301998

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Compass Mounting

The compass should be ahead of the helm station where the skipper has it directly in front of him. You do not want it off to the side at all or in the center of the boat. It will work well in this location.

Things to worry about.
Is there a wiper motor in front of the helm station and if so how far will it be from the compass?

Are there speakers near where the compass will go?

If you really want to put in in the center of the boat then the only option would be a Flux Gate electronic compass with the display in front of the helm but you are talking big bucks.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Compass Mounting

Yup. As long as there is no elect interference a compass will work just about anyplace. Had one hanging around my neck for over a year and it worked just fine. Thankfully.....;)