Mercruiser power steering unit question

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Best I can do for engine is that it is a mercruiser 7.4L MPI bravo.

We have the engine out of the boat and would like to find out if we can test the steering unit (by that I mean the part that is still in the boat, the part that is attached to the transom assy) without the engine hooked up to it.

Reason for asking is that all year we had a bad power steering leak but couldn't find it anywhere. We took the engine out of the boat and ran it in the shop a number of times but the fluid would never go down so now we are suspecting the part that is still inside the boat and would like to know if it can be tested before we put the engine back in.

Thanks

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser power steering unit question

If its power steering (im sure it is) the engine turns the power steering pump so unless you can get a hydraulic test stand to supply the hydraulic power to the steering no, it cant be tested

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was afraid of that, I was hoping there would be some kind of simple pressure check. Oh well thanks anyway..

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

If you have some way of putting pressure to it it will work but youd have to have something that will monitor pressure. Of course depending on how bad the leak is it might not take too much to see the leak.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok cool. I do have my regular vacuum and pressure gauge that I use on the drives. I'll try and rig something up where i can get it hooked up to the unit and block off the other hole. I wasn't sure if doing something like this would even work. Thanks again.