bolts size for pulling flywheel on /76 4hp Johnson

Hi, this is my 1st. post. I have a /76 4hp Johnson, model # 4W 76 M, I just can't get the flywheel nut & flywheel off. This outboard has a side pull start. I also have the Selco Outboard Manual but can't find out what flywheel puller etc. to use. I sure appreciate any help.:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bolts size for pulling flywheel on /76 4hp Johnson

harmonic balancer puller, you have to use #8 hardened 14x20 bolts, in the flywheel, of the bolt will strip, leaving the thread in flywheel. also you have to torque the nut when it goes back on. you can use a strap wrench to hold flywheel or wedge it some how.

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1

Rick.

Captain

1/4 x 20. I'm sure you figured that out. Rick.

There's a silver plate covering where it looks like the bolts should go, how do I pry that off? I did try with a screwdriver but it just dented the edge. Thanx:redface:

Rick.

Captain

Once you pull the center nut in the middle of the plate the plate will come off and expose the bolt holes. You really should get an OMC service manual for you specific motor before you start repairing it. Everything is covered in it.

Best of luck. Rick.

Thank you Rick, I do have a Seloc Johnson/Evinrude Outboard /71-89 Repair Manual for this motor but just haven't been able to find that information. Now I've got it, thanx again.

Thankyou tashasdaddy, great info! Guess you can tell I'm new to this.... but willing, & with all your help I hope to be able to accomplish lots.:)

Rick.

Captain

If your going to want to do your own repairs and maintenance you need to get an omc repair manual for your specific motor. Seloc just doesn't cut it IMO. The more you read the more you can do with out damaging something and then when your stuck you will be able to ask educated questions about the repair your undertaking. A manual will pay for itself in no time. Rick.

I've been searching the net & can't find a source for an OMC Repair Manual that is made just for a specific outboard without having other years included. That sure would be easier to follow.
I'm in BC Canada. Could you point me in the right direction....

tashasdaddy

outboardbooks.com. yes, some of the older OEM manuals cover several years and models, because they are so much alike. the manual is a little pricey, but the best tool you will buy for your motor.

this is a good strap wrench, to hold the flywheel, while you loosen the nut, and use when torquing the nut, ebay # 310130080060

Rick.

Captain

Take a look at this on Ebay. Looks like exactly what you need. I've bought several from this fellow with no problems. # 4652236578. Rick.

Robj

Lieutenant

I've been searching the net & can't find a source for an OMC Repair Manual that is made just for a specific outboard without having other years included. That sure would be easier to follow.
I'm in BC Canada. Could you point me in the right direction....

Where abouts? I am in Richmond, if you are near, bring it over and I will take it off for you. Takes 5 minutes, max.

Good luck.

Rob.

tashasdaddy

Rick has the correct manual for you on ebay.

Thanx for everyone's help, much appreciated! Great site.
& thanx for the offer Rob to take this off for me, but, I'm up the coast, by ferry. I'm taking this info. & heading for my shop.
TTYL