95' 110hp Johnny wiring help!

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to the johnny-rude family and very proud to join.

-I bought a used 1995 110hp Johnson with the "old style" wiring harness. The seller didnt give me the control or key switch so i went out to my local dealer and was talked into buying a "newer" OMC throtle/shifter with tilt/trim, built-in key switch, and horn. I cheaped out and did not buy the wiring harness adapter thing cause i was told that i could splice it into the "newer" box. Now im stuck in a ruck and have no idea what do to. I know plenty about wiring but nothing about this engine or the color wires... can anyone please help? are there any wiring diagrams for this? I know it can be done. Thank you much!
Leo

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95' 110hp Johnny wiring help!

Leo, I would have thought that the wiring colors on your motor would be the standard ones. Here are the colors from my '98 Johnny 150V6

yellow/red - +12V to starter solenoid
purple - ign accessory
black - ground
red - +12V unfused
red/purple - fused +12V
Grey - Tach signal
blue/white - trim up
Green/white - trim down
white/tan - trim gauge sender
black/yellow - ignition kill wire (grounds to kill spark)
purple/white - choke or enrichener
Tan - overheat signal to horn
black/white - looks to be ground to choke
Tan/yellow, tan/black, tan/orange - various sensors like low oil, no oil, check engine(you probably do not have this)

Those should be the ones that go to the key switch

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice

Hey chris, Thanks a bunch...
So far these are the colors i have on my harness...

-RED/(LIGHT-BLUE,PURPLE,GREY) - fused +12V OR +12V Solenoid???? (no fuse on the line btw. kinda confused about it.
-PURPLE - Ign Accesory
-BLACK - Grd
-BLACK/YELLOW - Kill Switch
-PURPLE/WHITE - Choke Enricher
-TAN - Overheat Horn Signal
-GREY - Tach
-White - ???????????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Fuse is probably on motor. Red from the battery to the fuse, red/purple from the fuse to the ign key. I do not have a listing for the other colors, sorry

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my "new to me" motor running!
Here are the colors i matched with from the harness to the new OMC throttle/contols... First set of colors are from the harness coming from the engine, Second set is the wires coming from the OMC controls:

Red/Violet - Red/Violet (12v solenoid))
Black/Yellow - Black/Yellow (Kill switch)
Purple - Purple (Ign Accesory)
Purple/White - Purple/White (Choke Enrichener)
Black - Black/White (Grnd, could this be wrong? it's the closest match?????)
White - coming from the engine harness, not hooked up... there's no possible match on the OMC control???)
Grey - (Tach, not hooked up yet)
Tan - (Overheat Horn, Not hooked up yet)
......... - Yellow/Red (Coming from the OMC Control, Has no possible match to engine harness?????)

Please do let me know what you all know!

rexicon

Cadet

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to the johnny-rude family and very proud to join.

-I bought a used 1995 110hp Johnson with the "old style" wiring harness. The seller didnt give me the control or key switch so i went out to my local dealer and was talked into buying a "newer" OMC throtle/shifter with tilt/trim, built-in key switch, and horn. I cheaped out and did not buy the wiring harness adapter thing cause i was told that i could splice it into the "newer" box. Now im stuck in a ruck and have no idea what do to. I know plenty about wiring but nothing about this engine or the color wires... can anyone please help? are there any wiring diagrams for this? I know it can be done. Thank you much!
Leo

Just went through this whole ordeal myself when I added a 95 rude as a replacement to one of twin 99 Johnny 115's. I was directed to this part # OMC 176346. I bought mine at a buy it now price of around $100 on Fleabay but if you're patient there are some auctions that aren't moving too quickly and you may be able to score the converter for cheap. Search using that part # and you should find a couple.

The adapter is pretty much plug n' play but you will have 6' or so of excess cable you'll have to stash somewhere. I threaded mine back into the bilge and hung it under the port gunwhale out of water's way.

Good luck.

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that option.
I am on a tight budget and really dont want to spend that now since i'm already this far into it. I'm sure someone here has to know the wires.... pls any help out there???

rexicon

Cadet

Thanks for that option.
I am on a tight budget and really dont want to spend that now since i'm already this far into it. I'm sure someone here has to know the wires.... pls any help out there???

That's kind of where I was too having just ponied up $1600 for a used engine but I needed mine in a hurry and didn't want to mess something up with my splicing.

There's a buy it now for $65 + shipping that would be $65 worth of peace of mind in my view.

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice

Found the part.... looks really good. I might go buy it tonight if i cant get the engine to respond.

Here's where i'm at... hooked up all the above mentioned wires (from my last post about wiring). But I still cant gte any kind of signal from the engine... such as it clicking, starter turning or anything... both POS and NEG are connected directly to the engine... plus the harness and all the wires i mentioned before.... How about this.... if i just go ahead and jump the starter directly to the battery... will it completely start or just turn and not start???

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you have the large red harness plug at the engine disconnected and you jump the starter the motor can start. You will need to choke it to stop it, so be prepared.

If you take a small jumper from the large battery post on the starter solenoid to the small positive post on the solenoid, it will activate the solenoid and run the starter. See point 6 to point 3 on the starter diagram.

Attachments

• Fuse 40 clean.JPG
    Fuse 40 clean.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice

If you have the large red harness plug at the engine disconnected and you jump the starter the motor can start. You will need to choke it to stop it, so be prepared.

If you take a small jumper from the large battery post on the starter solenoid to the small positive post on the solenoid, it will activate the solenoid and run the starter. See point 6 to point 3 on the starter diagram.

So nothing needs to be plugged in to the harness at all? just jump from the battery post to the small positive on the solenoid? That will start the engine up and keep it running ???(obivously release the jumper once it's completely started...). Now this "should" all work if the solenoid is good or will it work reguardless?

Also, how will i choke it??? hand covering carb??
Thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Think of the electronics as two systems; the starter and the ignition which operate separately.

When the engine is running, it is independent and running on the ignition system, which is why you could start it with a rope in an emergency.

The ignition switch only applies to the ignition system when the key is turned to off. (see the earlier diagram)

With the large red plug disconnected, you can operate the solenoid to crank the starter. When you release the jumper, the engine will run until you stop it.

The rest of the remote control system is mechanical, operated by the shift and throttle cables, so you would still use those.

The rest of the remote control wiring can be seen in the diagrams at the end of the following thread: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

For more detail on the starter circuit, see: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/electricStart.html

Jeepinvusa

Seaman Apprentice

Got home and tried it... The engine turns fast and strong... but will not run... So I removed different spark plugs at different times (one at a time)... and no hot blue spark while starting:confused: So now here i am... How can i tell the solenoid is ok? what is the issue now?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If jumping the solenoid activated the starter, assume the starter solenoid is OK.

You check spark on a cd system with all plugs out, using a tester that allows for 3/8" to 7/16" gap.

If you want to fire the engine, prime it with the primer bulb, then use the manual primer solenoid setting to enrich the fuel. Set the warm-up-lever up, but be ready to lower it. Make sure that the large red plug is disconnected at the engine.

Be sure to have water flowing through the cooling circuit.

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

that guyb was just trying to sell you something for more than what you needed. the wires are very similar but also diff. i know that the white wire your having problem with has to do with the trim and tilt on the engine side even though the one on yours is going to be red, green, and blue. id go telll that salesman that sold you that controll box and said it was "easy" take it in and let him show you the harness and match plugs and wires up on your own color code.