comparison help please

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, both boats 1980ish in age.

# 1 - 14' trihull bowrider with 70hp

#2 - 16' vhull bowrider with 55hp

I'm assuming that the 14' would smoke the 16'. Fair assumption?

Both boats in good shape, but the 16 looks way nicer with it's more modern style. Both have full tops and good trailers. The 16' is $1000 more than the 14', and would come with a limited warranty where the 14 comes as is. Both from marinas...both were taken as trade ins.

Again, looking for room for 4 plus dog, and power for the kids to tube / ski, plus a bit of day cruising.

Would the extra 2 feet make the boat that much more comfortable?

Would the vhull really deliver that much nicer of a ride?

Attachments

• 100009208main.jpg
    100009208main.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: comparison help please

Oh, and based on the engine covers can anyone guesstimate which motor is newer? I was told that the 14' is a 1983, and the 16' is listed as a 79 but it looks newer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would go with the blue v hull, better ride, more room. you can repower at a later date if needed. the mustard boat needs that 70 to counter the tri hull, and is really too small for what you want to do. it will beat you to death in a light chop. remember 2 kids are going to want to bring 2 kids. so you need room for 6.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Do either of the motors have power trim?

I would prefer the V-hull boat. Especially if it has power trim.

I had 15' tri-hull with a '76 70HP Evinrude. It was pretty quick but without power trim it was always a compromise between hole shot and top end. It was too small for 4 adults and 2 kids. It was very uncomfortable in anything but smooth water.

What brands are each of the boats? It doesn't really matter I am just curious.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

The little one is a Sea Sport and the vhull is a surf hunter.

I'm going to see the 16 tomorrow. Still haven't seen the 14.....

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 14' Larson trihull o/b very fast and very uncomfortable for the facts that it was one too small ( when you get a boat you always want a bigger one) and rode like a tank. If you have kids as I do like Tash said they always want a friend to come along so you need room ( tube, fuel tanks,coolers,gear and whatever else. I went from 14' to 18' and still want more room even with an i/o. so think it over room,mixing fuel,power and comfort

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go with the v hull. More room, better ride. Get as much space as you can You will use it all no matter what size boat you get.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I took the 2 hour drive to go see the vhull.

It's NOT a bowrider!!!! What the heck...you'd think the marina would know what a bowrider is!!!! Closed deck. Not a "surf hunter" either, it was a "surf master".

The carpet was cheapo outdoor turf, the wood pocket things along the sides in side were totally rotten. The transom had made some hollow sounds with a knock test, and looking at the inside skin of the transom revealed some nasty looking cracks.....

How they thought this piece of junk was worth $3000 I'll never know.

This was my first and last trip to Sandy Cove Marine in Barrie.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You never know till you take a look. Don't worry, there will be lots of decent boats out there for a reasonable price. Check out my outfit in my signature and also several photos in the Doral section. $2500 all in and solid as a rock !!!! (I just hope it doesn't float like one in the future !!!)

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah just keep your eyes open. I found my boat on craigslist and I got an awesome deal on it.

As far as size goes, for the future, I would suggest something larger than a
14'. My boat is 14'6" and it's just right size-wise with just me and my fiance. I couldn't imagine having us plus 2 kids and a dog in there.