Strange transom, how would you mount a kicker?

Rielcrazy

Cadet
Okay, this is not a picture of MY boat, but I have the same exact one, with the exception of the nice deck plate access points on either side of the walk through transom, mine is solid floor on either side with NO way to get into that portion other than to cut out a spot for a new deckplate. So, my question is, would you

http://boats.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/view_photos.cgi?ad_id=233102&img=4&count=2

I'm trying to also attatch a picture of my boat, not sure if it will work, either way the pics above provide more info.

1. cut a hole for a deckplate and get access to the vertical portion of the transom, then mount a kicker mount on the vertical portion of the transom through the fiberglass with a backing plate on the inside to act as a giant washer.

2. Mount "L" brackets on the horizontal portion of the deck so that the "L" points upward inline with there the transom turns down, then mount a board to the L brackets and hang your kicker.

3. do something totally different because I'm completely off??? :)

Thanks for the help, been trying to figure this out for a while.
P.S. kicker is 61 pounds, honda 4 stroke.

Attachments

• DSC_0012 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0012 smaller.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Strange transom, how would you mount a kicker?

how does water not swamp your boat when you stop?

that is the strangest transom i have ever seen,
Even if you could mount a kicker on it, You would need a tiller extension, because you could not stand back there to operate it. looks like a 2 or 3 ft reach back to the transom.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you do remote controls for throttle and shift, and a link arm off the big motor for steering.

CATransplant

Admiral

That's a strange setup, and I don't quite understand it. I can see where it would be nice to be able to slide a big fish onto that platform, but I don't see how the deck on that boat isn't constanly awash.

I went to the manufacturer's site, but they aren't making a model like that at this time.

So, for the owner here, could you tell us more about your boat?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take it you have no access to the inside of the transom.
If that is the case, you'd probably have to cut access holes for the bolt/nuts, on either way. I'd go with the transom mount, the backer board would add to what I'd believe is sufficient strenght already.

Rielcrazy

Cadet

IDN'T IT WEIRD???? I know, I thought the same thing, then I first went for a ride and strangly it does not wash up when you stop, not sure if it's the design of the underside of the hull or what but it really doesn't come over the back, it's great for watersking and yes for GIANT stripers comin' up over the back:) As far as more about it, it's a 1991 sportcraft fishmaster 180. I just ordered a deckplate from armstrong (looks like an awesome product) in order to get access to that portion of the transom. I had planned on purchasing a link that would allow me to control the steering off the main motor but didn't know you could buy one that would do the throttle too! anyone have a link for a product like that? Thanks for the replies, was gonna use like marine plywood for a back plate "inside" the transom, and probably just a 2X8 coted up for the mount. I had purchased an adjustable mount but seems like it might be more trouble than a fixed one. The kicker is more than long enough for the prop to be about 3 inches below the bottom at the highest point if I do that. Any suggestions on bolt sizes (thickness)? use stainless I'm sure right and epoxy them up good?

Rielcrazy

Cadet

Oh, and for those wondering about my picture, Yes I did buy the boat from John McCain... I just havn't taken his name "maverick" off the side yet! LOL