Glastron Boat?

travbl

Seaman
I am looking to buy my first boat, I looked at this boat just seeing what people thought: 06 GLASTRON MX195, it is 10995 with a 3.0 volvo. The salesman told me it has as much power as 4.3 mercruiser. Any thoughts or suggestions. Looking to stay anywhere from 10k-15k, I want a bowrider but am not stuck on anthing specific.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Glastron Boat?

The old saying "No replacement for displacement" hold especially true in the boating world. A 3.0 is fine for cruising the lake but if you ever want to pull a skier, especially a big skier, you'll NEED the 4.3 or even a 5.7. Once you have a boat/drive package, its very hard ($$$) to change the engine and drive. Go with what you can afford but if it doesnt have the power you want you wont be happy.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It might be as fast as some 4.3s, but it does not have as much power -- or it would have the 4.3 in it.

It would be a great first boat. Depending on the type of water sports you get into, it might be a little underpowered, which would just mean you have to compensate with a lower pitch prop (with corresponding loss of top end speed).

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I think the salesman is embellishing a little bit on the comparison to a 4.3 Mercruiser.

The HP numbers tell the truth: 3.0 Merc or Volvo will be 135HP; 4.3 will be at least 190 HP.

As the others have said the 3.0 may be fine for your use. However, a 4.3 is a safer bet if you are into water sports or plan to get into them.

travbl

Seaman

That is how I felt. I want the bigger motor, I will be skiing and tubing and plan on using it in the bay...If you hear of any good deals let me know. I live in the Philadelphia area and don't mind driving to surrounding states.

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Travbl,

That will be a pretty good boat for a first timer, but I think you'll feel like it's underpowered after a year or two of getting comfortable with it. It will pull a skier, but it will take some time to get him out of the water. Tubes will have no problem. Crusing will be great, and you'll be able to cruise ALL WEEKEND with one tankful of gas.

I had a 3.0L in an 18 footer, and we were able to pull a skier with 3-4 other full grown adults on board with no problem. That Glastron is probably a little bit heavier than my old 18 footer, but it should do OK. You could improve hole shot for skiers by replacing the prop with a lower pitch, but that will decrease you top speed.

If I were you, I'd keep looking for a 19' or 20' boat with at least a 4.3L in it.

Where in PA are you? I'm in Bucks County, and we frequent Beltsville Lake, Blue Marsh Lake, the Delaware River, and sometimes Raystown.

jkust

Rear Admiral

There are lots of v6's and some v8's in your price range. 15k is a lot of boat in the used market. I would keep looking if it were my money. If you haven't experience the differences between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder, I would start testdriving as soon as practical and make your own decision. There are reasons why the pricing for marine engines go up so dramatically as you add cylinders and displacement. If the 3.0 was as fast/powerful/whatever as the 4.3, lots of us would never opt for the larger displacement. Money is scarce and I wouldn't spend more than needed to achieve a desired result. The salesman has an agenda but if you really like the boat and can get it for a song go ahead and buy it. Just don't expect the salesman's views to be reality. A 3.0 is simply not a 4.3. Oh and also the fuel injected version of the 3.0 is finally out which should make the 3.0 carb even more of a bargain.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am looking to buy my first boat, I looked at this boat just seeing what people thought: 06 GLASTRON MX195, it is 10995 with a 3.0 volvo. The salesman told me it has as much power as 4.3 mercruiser. Any thoughts or suggestions. Looking to stay anywhere from 10k-15k, I want a bowrider but am not stuck on anthing specific.

Here's one suggestion.....don't talk to that salesman again. He's either a liar or he knows NOTHING.

As was said LOTS of nice used bots in your price range.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't trust salesman! get a boat surveyor to look at boat!