Sea king problem

hsoliver

Cadet
I have a 1957 sea king model # GG8971B
It runs fine but the prop just stopped turning. Checked the shear pin and it is fine - any other ideas?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Sea king problem

Could be spun prop hub, bad clutch dog or worn teeth on the driveshaft. Does it shift freely through F-N-R? Pull the prop and plugs and see if the driveshaft engages the prop shaft in F and R when you turn the flywheel by hand. If the propshaft and driveshaft engage correctly in F and R, inspect the prop and hub. If the propshaft doesn't engage and turn with the driveshaft, you may have a LU problem. Worst case scenario is the splines on either end of the driveshaft are shot and the shaft isn't engaging. Keep your fingers crossed for it being the prop, and post back and let us know what you find.

hsoliver

Cadet

Drive shaft snapped. Any parts availabe? can it be welded
Can someone clarify the year, mixture, etc from the model #

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Year is 1957, based on the Gale 12D16 It shares some with the OMC 15 but a different power head.Fuel mix is 24:1 with TCW3 rated oil.Champion J6C plugs set at .030 Points set at .020.
Over at the antique outboard motor club www.aomci.org they may be able to tell if it shares drive shaft with the omc motors.It does share parts with all the similar Gale built private brand motors.
Cooling and ignition parets should be available right here at Iboats based on the E/J applications.Also cooling/ignition parts listed on Ebay have excellent application/interchange info.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Broken drive shafts are unusual, and almost always are caused by a bent lower unit gearcase or exhaust housing. That puts the shaft out of alignment, causing it to bend back and forth with each turn. Yeah, I know, nobody believes you can bend the housings, but you can. Failure to tilt the motor when launching from a shallow ramp is one favorite way of doing it. Or backing into a stump. The OMC service manuals explain how to check them.

hsoliver

Cadet

any one have the info from an omc manual or is the proceedure the same for all

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You might check the crank and driveshaft end for evidence of misalignment.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You have to disassemble the motor and check the parts on a surface plate with a dial indicator. A machine shop can help you with that.

Attachments

• Checking parallelism.jpg
    Checking parallelism.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

hsoliver

Cadet

I got it apart and found out the housing is bent causing the problem, any idea where I could get one.

ndfez

Recruit

I have a 1963 seaking M#GG188O5A 40hp,does anyone know the spark plug gap an what plug to use,also I been using 30:1 instead of 24:1 does this matter,My motor runs then dies,I have to use my throttle as a choke to keep it running what should I do?

xtremehunteraz

Recruit

I have a sea king 7 hp motor from montgomery ward, I was wondering when it was made and where to get parts. The model # is K7003107A and the type is 6027370R if that helps. The gears iat the end of the handle broke and I only have half the gear left(was made of plastic)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Please start a new thread/post to ask your question. Really old posts don't get much attention.