Evinrude 9.9 No pee stream, please help!!

dlutsky

Recruit
Recently purchased a 1989 Evinrude 9.9. It had no pee stream, but compression was 105 exactly on both cylinders. This was adequate compression in my opinion. Owner expressed that it never has a pee stream and he took it out 20-30 times. Obviously it was cooling the motor, or it wouldnt have served him for even 1 trip. I replaced the water pump and impellar and started back up. Still no stream. Tomorrow I will shoot some compressed air into the top and see if that helps, or maybe a saltaway treatment? It looks like its seen a fair amount of salt. I am so stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions at all on what I can do to get the thing peeing again? Spring fishing is soon approaching, help. thanks!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 9.9 No pee stream, please help!!

Start by checking the telltale for blockages. The outlet in the lower cover, the hose and the fitting at the engine end.
Owner expressed that it never has a pee stream and he took it out 20-30 times. Obviously it was cooling the motor, or it wouldnt have served him for even 1 trip.
Or he lied!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

kritters like to nest in the PS hose.

Rick.

Captain

Try pushing a weed eater sting up the tell tale. Be careful the motor isn't overheating. You should be able to hold your hand on the top of the head for a three count. I'm guessing it is cooling fine with that compression result. If that doesn't work then drop the lower unit and hook a hose to the water tube, pull the thermostat and turn on the hose and flush it for a good long time. I've not heard of salt away but it sounds like a good idea. I've chemically cleaned boilers and heating systems enough to know you must have flow in order for the cleaning to work. Too bad about this trouble but still it sounds like you've got a good motor once you get this behind you. When putting the power unit back on be very careful the water pipe and water pump grommet line up well or that could cause a new flow problem. Best of luck. Rick.