my boat trailer project (pics)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
i have a 87 bayliner capri, nothing fancy, neither is the trailer. I had some time on my hands and a very limited budget, so i decided to paint the trailer, redo bunk carpet, etc... I know its not the greatest job, but i should get at least a good 10 more years out of it...oh, i went with Satin White because it was cheap lol.

tempboatfolder018.jpg

tempboatfolder022.jpg

tempboatfolder025.jpg

still missing the matching grey fenderwells and sideguide bunks, and lights...and its getting new tow chains. anyone know of any good deals on LED light kits besides ebay?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: my boat trailer project (pics)

Looking good. Are you giving it a wheel bearing job while you are at it ??

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great! I'm in the middle of the exact same thing so your work is inspiring.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good. Are you giving it a wheel bearing job while you are at it ??

I re-did the bearings personally about 2 years ago and installed bearing buddies then, so i should be good to go. I got cheap BB knockoffs, so im going to upgrade this year to the name brand Bearing Buddies.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great! I'm in the middle of the exact same thing so your work is inspiring.

it has been alot of work, but worth it. took the boat off and stripped the boards lights, etc off in one day...sanded the next, and painted the 3rd day. its actually going to take longer to put it all back together and round up the lights and stuff. Im going with LED's and a couple of the non-required yellow fender marker lights. im so glad i took the time to do it, you'll be glad u did!

Okay, I admit i cheated a little taking the boat off the trailer...lol

tempboatfolder020.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

it has been alot of work, but worth it. took the boat off and stripped the boards lights, etc off in one day...sanded the next, and painted the 3rd day. its actually going to take longer to put it all back together and round up the lights and stuff. Im going with LED's and a couple of the non-required yellow fender marker lights. im so glad i took the time to do it, you'll be glad u did!

Okay, I admit i cheated a little taking the boat off the trailer...lol

We apparently think exactly alike. I cheated even more than you....I bought a whole other (cheap) trailer off Craigslist figuring it would be easier to rehab that one than to try to figure out what to do with my boat while I worked on my current one! I also plan to go with LED's and side marker lights since this trailer already has holes created for them. The one I'm working on was pretty rusty so I'm stripping it down completely with a wire wheel on a grinder. It was originally set up for a flat bottom boat so I'll have some rigging to do to get it set up for my boat.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put LED's on my trailer a couple of years ago. I went to Gander Mt. and bought the Optronics kit. It has a nice, long wiring harness, square lights ( I believe round are also availabe) and the real plus for me was that each individual light has it's own ground as well as the ground for the harness. There are built in reverse and side marker lights as well and a new plastic license plate bracket is included. It was only about $55. Here's the link:http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...r_Light_Kit&str=optronics&merchID=4005&r=view

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I put LED's on my trailer a couple of years ago. I went to Gander Mt. and bought the Optronics kit. It has a nice, long wiring harness, square lights ( I believe round are also availabe) and the real plus for me was that each individual light has it's own ground as well as the ground for the harness. There are built in reverse and side marker lights as well and a new plastic license plate bracket is included. It was only about $55. Here's the link:http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...r_Light_Kit&str=optronics&merchID=4005&r=view

For that price they are certainly worth considering.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

that is a good price. Walmart also sells a kit that looks very similar to that for $49...im gonna check it out this weekend cause i could save the shipping and not wait if i dont have to lol. I also like the low profile ones for $79...hmm...decisions, decisions...

delmo777

Cadet

very nice, i am having to replace everything on my trailer as well, i just have to figure out how toget my boat off of it. i don't have any lift or anything.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I read about a cherry picker idea on here that should work...one up front, one on the back and lift it up, slide the trailer out little by little. Boaters World is goin out of business, so I got Lowprofile LED light kit with harness and everything for $50!!! just put em on, man they look sweet!

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Harbor Freight has a very nice set of LEDs for 39$. I bought them and replaced my 10 year old originals. WOW they are bright! I LOVE 'EM

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

newest pics...i only have the 2 side bunkboards to put on and 2 more fender marker lights. what ya guys think?
DFpics014.jpg

DFpics013.jpg

DFpics015.jpg

tavett

Seaman Apprentice

Redone, do you think dark blue pinstripping would look good on it?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good, wish mine looks that nice, mines dull but its galvanized.

Im jealous of your weather, nothin but crap up here in washington state, i cant even get out to tune my boat with out freezing my arse off. I have to re wire the trailer, and rewire my tow vehicle.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Redone, do you think dark blue pinstripping would look good on it?

i've been thinking about it...even just one stripe down each side would match the boat and break it up a little. are there any good decal kits anywhere? i havent looked yet, it has been a thought though. It had blue stripes before, so i think it def. would look nice.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good, wish mine looks that nice, mines dull but its galvanized.

Im jealous of your weather, nothin but crap up here in washington state, i cant even get out to tune my boat with out freezing my arse off. I have to re wire the trailer, and rewire my tow vehicle.

this is the part of the year that vegas is great for...summer, not so great lol except for lake mead, that makes up for the heat. i feel for ya, i could not make it in Washington, thats for sure.