Hi everyone! I'm stumped, maybe you guys can help.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman
Hello everyone. Great forum, I'm thinking maybe somebody here could help me. Here's the scoop. I picked up a '68 6hp Johnson from a friend of mine. He put it away running about 1 yr ago. He previously replaced points. I get the motor, brought it home, slap it on the boat and....no joy.

So I check the following:

New gas check
Plugs check

Gas is getting to the carb. I choke it and I can see the gas at the carb opening.
I remove the plugs, they are wet--so fuel in cylinders.

I pull it over with plugs out--can see the spark.

Well I'm stuck now. Gas yes, fire yes..But no start :(

Was hoping to take the kids out fishing tomorrow night (Friday) and was hoping somebody could help me out, or proper steps to go from here. I bought a Clymer book and while not the most mechanical, I am a fast study.

So any ideas guys? TIA!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hi everyone! I'm stumped, maybe you guys can help.

You are making assumptions about both fuel and spark.

Go to the Engine FAQS Forum. Do "Outboard won't start".

Lete us know what you find.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

might want to do the awakening sleeping outboard too.

Thats where I would start

Robj

Lieutenant

I believe that is a 2 cylinder, is it possible that you have the plug wires reversed? What is the compression? You already said there was spark. If you have compression, correctly timed spark with fresh not stale fuel it should start.

Good luck.

Rick.

Captain

Stuck open needle valve. I'm willing to bet. (Canadian money) When you pump up the gas bulb does it get real hard and stay that way for a few minutes? Our ice is starting to melt. Only 40 inches to go. Rick.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

{Ole JayM sings the "time to rebuild the carburetor" song}

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Stuck open needle valve. I'm willing to bet. (Canadian money) When you pump up the gas bulb does it get real hard and stay that way for a few minutes? Our ice is starting to melt. Only 40 inches to go. Rick.

Ice should be gone by Labour Day then eh !!!! just in time for fall !!!
In response to original question, if you have compression, fuel and spark at the right time it will fire.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Gas running out of carburetor, wet plugs = too much gas. It's flooded. Probably as already said, the float needle valve is stuck.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

As an update..and for anyone else with similar problems..

It turns out the head gasket was bad. A mech told me to take out the plugs and tap them into my hand. He said to look for beading..If so the head gasket is shot.

I took 'em out and tapped..sure enough there was beading in my hand and inside the plug. Popped her open and sure enough the gasket was shot. Water had started to leak into the cylinder. Well, on went the new gasket..and away I went! She runs like a champ:)

No signs of rust/damage in the cylinder, all is well. The mech said he has seen this quite a few times on these little guys...and it can make them difficult (impossible :) ) to start.

Thanks all for the help! I learned alot reading the faq's and did as they said!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

why did dthe gasket blow, running hot, change the impeller.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

Certainly plan on doing the impeller in the next few weeks..that said the pi ss stream is strong. Does that imply the impeller is strong/ok? I'll do it anyway just to see/learn more about the motor. Thanks again..

(PS, I am starting to get hooked on this site and older outboards..I see MANY more projects coming! What a great hobby!) :)

jonesg

Admiral

Might need thermostat change and check water passages around cylinders are clear.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

I did clear out the passages..there was quite a bit of sand in there. May have blocked up/slowed the flow causing the gasket to leak? Not sure, but at any rate they are completely clear at this point!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

It turns out the head gasket was bad. A mech told me to take out the plugs and tap them into my hand. He said to look for beading..If so the head gasket is shot.

When you say "look for beading," are you saying look for droplets of water? Sounds like a good diagnostic that I have not heard before.

MAS

freddyray21

Commander

my guess is he it taking about gas and oil mixed with water. It will bead.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

"are you saying look for droplets of water?"

Yup..and that was exactly what I found..

"gas and oil mixed with water. It will bead."

Bingo..