Sticking Control box

Sheps2007

Cadet
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie to this so apologies if my language is not to technical

I have an 70hp Evinrude Johnson outboard with original evinrude control box. When i move the lever into gear (forward) it is very hard to move. When you try and engage reverse it just won't move. Thought i might have a ceased cable so disconnected at outboard end and would you believe it control box lever moves free and easy!! thought the problem may be in the gear box but i can easily engage forward and reverse gears by pulling the rod that the cable attaches to. I'm totally bemused anybody got thoughts on what could be causing the problem.

hope that makes sense!! :D

Sheps2007

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Sticking Control box

Are you trying to shift the engine while at rest, or I mrean not running?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With engine off - go spin the prop, then try to put it in gear and see if it goes with ease.

Sheps2007

Cadet

Sorry it's a 1977 Johnson 70 hp. is that enough info?

with the cable detached and the engine off i can easily engage both forward and reverse gear by just using my fingers. i haven't tried it with the engine running. The problem only occurs when the cable is connected. :confused:

Disconnected both ends (engine and control box) move freely!!

Sheps2007

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check the outer sheath on the cable for cracking. if cracking replace, the cables are binding. no sharp bends in the cables either.

Sheps2007

Cadet

Thanks Tashasdaddy. I will check for cracking. But if cable binding would the control box not be hard to move even when the cable is disconnected at the engine? sorry if that sounds a stupid question but new to all this.#

thanks again

Sheps2007

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No, if the cable is bad, and you remove the tension from the engine side by disconnecting the cable there, the cable will most likely move freely as if nothing was wrong. Adding the friction of having to shift the motor may be causing the cable to flex just a tad more, and that's all it wil take to make it bind.

Sheps2007

Cadet

Thanks for the advice everyone:). checked and the cable has got a split in it. so will replace and hope that fixes the problem:(.

thanks again.

Sheps