Brightside Paint

zach103

Commander
So i did a search but for some reason nothing came up . so heres my question. i have some dark blue Interlux Brightside.. now for the best look. what method should i use to apply it.. and do i need to add any thinners.. it gave me a thinner to use but didnt say if i needed to use it or not. what brushes should i use? all that shtuff :).. is gunna be a couple more weeks till i paint but wanna get all the info i can

this where im at now
P1080562.jpg

zach103

Commander
Re: Brightside Paint

Sweet deal.. roll and tip is the best right

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

No, spraying is the best but takes some skill and spraying equipment.
Roll and tip will work with a little practice and the right roller and brush.

zach103

Commander

whats teh recommended roller i heard foam brush is good

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

HELLO!
The man needs an answer to his question.

I wouldn't roll and tip on a bet.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

If you're reasonably handy, you can do a pretty decent looking spray job with a relatively small compressor and a 20 Harbor freight gun...

Brightsides is fairly shiny, but be careful with it it's fairly soft even when fully cured. I much prefer two part polyurethane sprayed, but you have to be realitively careful from a safety standpoint. With something like brightsides you can use a charcoal / particulate respirator and just cover up to keep from getting too much on you (xylene can be absorbed through skin). I would do it outside on a calm day... you would be surprised how nice of a job you can do with good prep work (most important) and some patience.

WizeOne

Commander

....If you're reasonably handy, you can do a pretty decent looking spray job with a relatively small compressor and a 20 Harbor freight gun...

Yep, I did my bilge that way. Too many contoures to roll and tip. Being a bilge I did not spend a lot of time on the surface prep but it came out looking really good.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yep, I did my bilge that way. Too many contoures to roll and tip. Being a bilge I did not spend a lot of time on the surface prep but it came out looking really good.

:rolleyes: good place for you the bilge that is...:D

JAmi004-1.jpg

JAmi003-1.jpg

Go to finsihed product's i have vid in my thread of that boat being painted....Rollers a bit noisy though..Just the luck of the Irish...:p err scotch...:D

Davinciman

Seaman

I have used the bright side system before and it does come out very nice...but.
I don't think I would use it again...It's ok but geared toward a novice diyer.
I agree it is soft. Use a keel guard.
Even with their primer it scratches off.
It's too expensive for what you get.
I did my stripe with a " rustoleum" type product and it has lasted equally well if not better.
If I was going to do it the cheap route again- (paint is always cheap, you pay the price in labour) i would do the regular diligent prep, paint with a universal epoxy primer and then paint with your favorite "rustoleum"

I am a commercial/industrial painter and my paint job I did with brightside has lasted very well (going on 15 yrs) but you get what you pay for.

I'm going two part poly this time

But by all means spray the brightside, it's not that hard with good spray technique, you can get very good results.

zach103

Commander

Thanks for al the replies.. Tail Gunner because you did both what one would you recommend

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

I'll second Perfection. Used it on the hull on the glassmaster (she stays on a trailer so no bottom paint necessary).

Zac, I've used Brightsides and Perfection and spraying can be real mess. I use the very very fine foam finishing rollers, and lay on VERY THIN coats, do several. Have a friend brush out the tiny bubbles with a very fine brush. Don't try to roll and tip yourself, you can't hit the paint fast enough. If this is done right, it comes out looking very very good, and much easier than spraying.

Use thinner (per instructions) in warmer weather so the paint levels better.

zach103

Commander

this is for a boat that im gunna sell when done fixing so thats why im not going with perfection...

fishdog that sounds like a good idea