Threading new steering cable

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is the last step in my saga. I have to thread the new steering cable through the hull to the helm unit. I am planning on duck taping the helm end of the new cable to the terminal end of the old cable and feed it through while my bro pulls on the other end.<br /><br />Sound logical?? I know you guys have a better trick, that is why I ask. <br /><br />Work starts in the morning, that is if I can get the new helm unit installed tonight. Hopefully I will be at the lake by mid afternoon. Every repair gets sea trialed at the lake before heading to the coast. :)

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Threading new steering cable

Instead of pulling one wire with the other and duct tape, try using a wire "fish" such as electricians use. These are thin metal lines that are very strong and designed for what your doing.<br /><br />First attach wire to existing cable. Pull cable back to expose wire at far end. Disconnect old cable and attach new cable to wire. Thread back through into position. Also try using electrical tape as it stretches instead of ripping and is quite strong.<br /><br />Another hint is to begin the process at the easy end. That way you are dealing with the difficult part of the return at the beginning of the return operation.<br /><br />Liam

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Threading new steering cable

DONE!!!! :D <br /><br />Thanks for all the help through what was a long and arduous process. This ends the saga also addressed in the threads "jammed steering rod" and "tool for cleaning steering tube".<br /><br />With the help of my 12 year old son, I completed the project of installing a new helm unit and cable steering system. The only major catch was that I had to reposition the steering unit on the console to accomodate the mechanism underneath. I still have a little cosmetic glass work to do. Please join me in welcoming my son to the brotherhood of carport mechanics, as he is nursing a couple of sore knuckles. But he was a huge help and it was a great father-son experience.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the suggestions.