Gimbal housing bushings

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I have been reading a lot of the threads here and have been checking stuff on my boat. Have found that there is enough side-to-side play (2 ??) in my steering that I have concluded that the gimbal ring needs to be replaced, maybe the steering arm, but don?t think so. Anyway doesn?t make much difference got to pull it apart anyway. Have read the manuals and understand pretty well what is involved, except I have a questions about the upper bushings. There is a grease fitting on the upper gimbal housing (Alpha 1, 1987 sn# 8684288). The ring feels solid with no discernible fore and aft or up and down play. Should I just replace the upper bushing oil seal and not worry about the bearings (bushings)? Second question, I know Don does not like the plastic plugs, and neither do I, but don?t have much choice, so will have to use them. What I plan is when it comes time to put em in, I will epoxy them in place with JB Weld. If I have to get in there again, I?ll just drill em out. Sound OK? Thanks for all of the great info & advice.

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Gimbal housing bushings

With 2 1/2 in. play, you are going to find that the gimble ring needs replacing.
The upper swivel pin has a square shank that fits into a square opening in the top of the gimble ring. As the bushing wears, the pin loosens allowing play between the steel pin, and the aluminum gimble ring. As you turn, back and fourth the "loose" pin wears the opening more and more until you have a sloppy drive.
Don't cut corners on this job or you will be doing it again There is a bunch of force and torque on the gimble assy. Replace all the warn parts!

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

what kind of boat is it? is it a gen II or bravo drive ... if so check out jr marine the sell a kit that is WAY better then the one in the manual. I did this last year and the JR marine was awesome.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

87 4WINNS, 190 horizon, Alpha 1. Already sent a note to JR to see if they will do my ring, don't think I can use their kit.:(