charge coil resistance, question?

Fox16

Seaman Apprentice
I have a somewhat new battey in my 16' wooden boat. A 1996 48 special rests on the transom. Just recently, it seems that my battery wont charge. (I noticed this after the boat had set up for about 3-4months) Using an ammeter, i tested the resistance in my coil wires and my rectifier. The rectifier tested out alright, however, the resistance in the coil wires was between .8 -.9 . My manual says they should be between .5 -.6 . Would the variance in resistance be enough to not charge my battery? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: charge coil resistance, question?

No I would not think so. It is difficult to measure low resistances accurately.

I take it you checked the rectifier according to Joe Reeves instructions in the "Engine FAQs" A digital multimeter should be used on the "diode test" range though.

Check the output volts from the rectifier red lead with all load disconnected. It may be below 12 at idle but should rise well above that as the engine is speeded up. Consider a bulb connected directly as that will put a good load on. It should light a 12 volt bulb of up to around 60 watts.

Check the AC volts output directly from the stator with the rectifier disconnected. There are there wires .... yes?
You should be able to get 12 volts and upwards between the Yellow/gray wire and the plain yellow and be able to light a bulb up to 30 watts.

Similarly between the yellow/gray and the yellow/blue.

You may find the circuit diagrams useful. The upper one shows how to connect AC lighting when no rectifier is fitted. the lower one is the diagram of the rectifier diodes.

4fd8c66a.jpg

Fox16

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much. I will run those test and try to fix the problem.

Fox16

Seaman Apprentice

Well it turns out my battery was bad. I guess it is a good idea to check your battery before you start testing your charging system.