Feedback needed on 195 Discovery plans

Gryphon

Seaman
Since I had no hits on BOC, I thought I would copy and paste it here.

Hi Everyone,

Since I have many questions and at the risk of upsetting other members by hijacking their threads I have put my questions in a separate thread.

I have just purchased a 2008 Bayliner 195 Discovery which I take delivery on April 1/09. It has 3.0L (standard), bimini top and full swim platform. I plan on doing some fishing, some cruising but mostly water sports. Here are my plans, please let me know if I am way off on any.

i) Install Smart Tabs. I can get both the ST and SX for the same price, which is recommended? I would expect the plastic ones to be better with people getting in and out of the water around that point. Do the tabs cause issues when using the ladder? How long should they take a shop to install, had 2 quotes so far, one at .75 hours and the other at 2.5 hours.

ii) Changing props after the 20 hour break-in period and once I have determined my WOT RPM. I would like to go to a 4 blade and if my RPMs before the change are closer to the 4400 range than the 4800 range I would like to try an 18? 4 blade. As I understand an 18? (from 21?) would increase ~600 RPM and going to a 4 blade will decrease it ~150 RPM so that may still keep me close to the upper 4800 RPM range. I don?t care if I lose some top end.

iii) I would like to get some factory options that were not installed on my boat, (unable to order a boat with them as it was end of stock). Mainly interested in a full camper back, and possibly a bow cover, sleeper chair, rod holders, and bow platform for a fishing chair. What are my best options for sourcing them?

iv) I also plan to mount my 9.9 4 stroke Merc to the swim platform? The dealership indicated this would be ok if mounted over the brace. They also suggested that if it (9.9) is locked in place I can still steer the boat with the steering wheel.

Thanks for reading and all feedback is welcomed.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Feedback needed on 195 Discovery plans

which I take delivery on April 1/09.

Ayuh,... I know you're Excited with a New Boat coming,...
But,...
Why don't you splash it,+ run it for awhile....
At this point you have No Clue as to whether it even needs Smart Tabs, or a different Prop, or Whatever...

As for the Options,....
An Upholstery Shop can do the canvas work,... Rod holders are available about Anywhere,...
The rest of the stuff is what the guys around here build for themselfs.....
The Kicker I wouldn't comment on without Seeing it...

Good Luck...

Gryphon

Seaman
Re: Feedback needed on 195 Discovery plans

Thanks,

From all the reviews this boat isnt over powered by any means, lol. I am assuming it will need help and thus why not enjoy it to its fullest potential sooner than later.

Anyone have pictures on their Discovery 195 of the smart tabs?