71 johnson 50hp oil leak?

tacg

Cadet
i was running my motor in a tub and noticed that there was a black layer of oil on top of the water. This isn't suppose to happen is it. Any clues. It is a 1971 Johnson 50 hp hydro elec drive.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 71 johnson 50hp oil leak?

Not all the oil in your mix gets burnt up and comes out of the exhaust. If it is really excessive you may need to decarb your motor.

tacg

Cadet

what would be the best thing to use to decarb it?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Seafoam is what I use and has been recommended by many on this forum...but there are others...just do not know what they are.

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck