head gasket question

jkseahorse

Cadet
This seems like a very simple question but after all I am a newbie to motor repair. I am replacing a head gasket on my 82 Johnson 90hp v4 and im not sure on the way it should be facing. It is a Sierra gasket and has a label for "top" and an arrow pointing towards exhaust cover. If I install it so that it can be read than the arrow will be pointing away from the exhaust cover. If I flip it then the arrow will point towards the exhaust cover but it will essentially be backward to where you cant read the label standing behind the boat. If I flip it then the water flow holes will be on the outside of the bottom piston away from the exhaust cover, which to me seems like it would be correct. Or is there a left and right side gasket and I have the wrong one. To further complicate things it appears the previous gasket was put in with the arrow pointing away from the exhaust cover, so I am confused. Help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: head gasket question

There is only one head gasket made for that model so therefore the arrow will be on the other side of the gasket on one bank. The arrows must face the exhaust baffle area.

The previous gasket, pointing away from the exhaust baffle plate was installed wrong.