93 tiger shark low end power

romby22

Recruit
Hello there, I have a 93 Tiger Shark 640 and It is very hard to get out of the hole with two people on it. I have visually checked the impeller and wear ring and see no problems. I was told the clearance between the two is .030? Is that correct? Am I looking in the right direction? I change plugs every summer and changed all of the inline filters last summer. With one person on it, it comes out fairly well and when planed out it goes great. I don't want to go out and buy an impeller and wear ring as they are very costly it that is not my problem. If someone out there can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Tim

fishinfill1

Cadet
Re: 93 tiger shark low end power

Hi tim,
The most likely reason i would say is because of your fuel, possibly carb issue, you might want to take it into a dealer or shop and have it serviced. If it hasnt been serviced then that would deffinetley be a possible reason.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

describe your issue in more detail,, is the engine revving and the ski not picking up speed? or is it just not accelerating like bogging down.

romby22

Recruit

Thanks for responding, On take off the nose comes up in the air and and does not want to plane out. It is not bogging down it just seams to push water through with little response, meaning the ski will move but will not go out on plane with two people aboard. What is the correct air gap between the impeller and the wear ring? There are no nicks or chunks out of them. Thanks Tim

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

i would want the gap under 20 thousands,, does the engine rev when you hit the throttle?

romby22

Recruit

First of all you have to understand that I live in the U.P. of Michigan and I am trying to remember what was going on last Sept. If I remember correctly it is probably at full RPM and does not want to go, so I would have to say yes it is at a high rev. If the clearance is over .020 would it be the ring or the impeller or both? How would I find out what the inside dimention is on the ring, or O.D. of the impeller is supposed to be?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

use a feeler gauger between the impeller and the liner to see the gap,, but I bet your carbs are in need of rebuilding,, they start to loose top speed and if you back off the throttle a second and then give it gas they will pick up speed a bit and then bogs down ,, if the carbs haven't been rebuilt in several years they probably need it .

romby22

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, do these have reed valves in them? The ski is in storage right now and I am trying to remember what the heck is on this thing. Do you just clean reed valves? Thanks again Tim

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

it has reeds but if they are bad fuel will blow out the carb when it is running.