smokey motor

Allstate48

Cadet
Times got alittle tight last fall. Didn't winterize. 96 70hp Evinrude. Took it out today, for the first time, and got the smoke out of it, but seems to still smoke alittle. I run Justice Brothers oil. It's not synthetic, but not regular 2 cycle. Is there any filters I should change. Times were good, never had the cover off. Times have changed, need some advice. Thanks Doug

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: smokey motor

Never heard of that oil around here. Is it TCW-3 rated ???

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

You might be running rich...float stuck? Needle/seat worn?

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would do a decarb, and clean the innards of the motor. cleans the carbon out.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

Allstate48

Cadet

Thanks all for replies. Yes it is TCW-3 rated. I run it in all of my 2 cycle. My tank is 27 gallons, and it's full. Before I shut it down ,last year, we put a bottle of Justice Bros. conditioner in it. Last year we were in Canada, for a week, and ran a tank out. I'll check the plugs, and get new ones. Thanks for the replies, again. Doug