Need help with identification please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, here's the story... I bought a boat last year and have been loving it of course! Can't wait to get it back out on the water now that warmer weather is on the way...

Last year I was having some strange problems with the outboard. I believe it was a result of a bad tank/primer bulb sucking some air somewhere, so I've already replaced that. Hopefully that will solve it...

I'd still like to go through the motor and possibly replace any parts that might have some wear, etc...

The problem is, I don't have a clue what motor it actually is, let alone HP or year...

I've searched all over for any sort of identification tag and can't find anything. Don't know if I'm blind and missing it, it's hiding somewhere, or if it's just not there.

I called the original owner and he doesn't know for sure either. All he knows is that the guy who gave it to him (who has passed away) told him it was a 30hp Johnson. Neither of us knows for sure if that's accurate.

Here's what I do know...

I'm pretty sure it's a Johnson... It has a Johnson/Evinrude fuel connector, and I'm thinking johnson because under the black paint / camo duct tape the original paint appeared to be white.

Otherwise I'm at a lost.. I've looked all over for some sort of identifying numbers but can't. I see lots of what I guess are "part numbers" stamped in a lot of stuff, and a lot of it has a small "M" logo on them. Not a Mercury logo, just a small M in a "box".

I'm begging here.. Hopefully someone can take a look at these pictures and either tell me where to look for any model number in case I've missed it, and/or can perhaps identify it at least somewhat closer by the looks?

If anyone needs any more info please ask and I'll get it posted as soon as possible.

Also, it's on a 15' 1985 Sears Gamefisher fiberglass boat. It's obviously not a gamefisher motor though (or at least not from what I've seen of pics)...

Anyone offer me any help here at all?!? Thanks so much in advance!

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3489.JPG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with identification please!

It does look like an old Johnny or some clone of a Johnny. if I remember correctly OMC made some motors for Sears.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At this point I'm positive it's a Johnson... Why I didn't think of this before I dunno, but there is a sticker on top that had some patent numbers on it. I looked a couple up and they're all held by OMC... That combined with everything else tells me it's definately a Johnson... Now it's just a matter of finding what model...

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there somewhere I should be looking for a model number that I'm either blind or it's hidden tucked away somewhere?

BTW... It's a two cylinder if that helps anyone... Or at least it has two plugs, so I'm assuming it's a twin... Single carb...

CATransplant

Admiral

Look on the engine block for a round plug that has numbers on it. It may show the model number. Also, look around the transom mount area for a painted-over tag or label. You can remove the paint with a little acetone on a rag...enough to read the tag.

The cowling looks like many of the late 60s-early 70s cowlings. That said, it could be anything from a 20 hp to a 35 hp. You need the model number to tell. So, hunt for number and post 'em.

I do wish people wouldn't paint their engines "camoflage." It's ugly as sin, and I don't think it scares the birds any less. A camo-painted outboard brings considerably less money when you sell it, too. Fortunately, you can fix things by repainting. White was the color.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go back edit your post, rotate the pictures so they can be seen. then i will look at them

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look on the engine block for a round plug that has numbers on it. It may show the model number. Also, look around the transom mount area for a painted-over tag or label. You can remove the paint with a little acetone on a rag...enough to read the tag.

I did find the plug... The number on it is "R8241192" which didn't seem to match to any sort of model numbers I was finding... Does this help at all?

The cowling looks like many of the late 60s-early 70s cowlings. That said, it could be anything from a 20 hp to a 35 hp. You need the model number to tell. So, hunt for number and post 'em.
Really? I didn't think it was that old... Maybe that's part of why I've had such a hard time locating it...

I do wish people wouldn't paint their engines "camoflage." It's ugly as sin, and I don't think it scares the birds any less. A camo-painted outboard brings considerably less money when you sell it, too. Fortunately, you can fix things by repainting. White was the color.

You're telling me! And to add insult to injury the entire lower portion of the cowling and tiller arm are covered in a "well aged" camo duct tape... You can just imagine the nightmare of trying to remove that!

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go back edit your post, rotate the pictures so they can be seen. then i will look at them

Seriously??? It's a good thing you're cap'n of the boat!!! LOL!

Done as requested... ;) Increased the size a little too just in case that'll help...

CATransplant

Admiral

No, that number's not much help, I'm afraid. Again, look carefully around the transom mount area for the outline of a tag or sticker. If you can find it, you can clean off the tag and read the model number.

Your photos aren't really clear enough to get a good look at anything. Closeups of the engine from both sides would help, probably, but it'll still be a guess.

As far as removing the duct tape wrapping, you'll have some success with a heat gun. Not a hair dryer...a heat gun. It'll soften the rubber-based glue and let you pull the tape off. It'll probably screw the paint up, too, but never mind...it's easy to repaint. Careful, though, on plastic parts like the cowling. Gently does it, or you'll deform the plastic.

One thing that might help identify the horsepower is for you to pull the prop off and see if there are markings on it to identify the size and pitch. With that, we can get a little closer, as long as it has a suitable prop.

Next, does it have through-the-prop exhaust? You can tell by looking at the prop. If it has a big hole with a nut inside, then it's through-the-prop. If it has a plastic cone with a cotter key through it, it's a pin-drive prop, as used on the 28 spl.

But, I'm betting there's one of those model number tags on it...just covered with paint.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, that number's not much help, I'm afraid. Again, look carefully around the transom mount area for the outline of a tag or sticker. If you can find it, you can clean off the tag and read the model number.
I'll check again but I've went over this thing with a fine tooth comb... The only thing I've been able to find thus far is on the starboard side of the transom clamp (on top) are two numbers stamped in... The first is 187304 and right below it is 31A01...

Your photos aren't really clear enough to get a good look at anything. Closeups of the engine from both sides would help, probably, but it'll still be a guess.
Here are some close ups for you. From each side... Sorry about the lens flare in a couple, the sun is getting low in the sky... ;)

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG

One thing that might help identify the horsepower is for you to pull the prop off and see if there are markings on it to identify the size and pitch. With that, we can get a little closer, as long as it has a suitable prop.

According to the markings it's a 4x10x13

Next, does it have through-the-prop exhaust? You can tell by looking at the prop. If it has a big hole with a nut inside, then it's through-the-prop. If it has a plastic cone with a cotter key through it, it's a pin-drive prop, as used on the 28 spl.

Yes, it's a through-the-prop exhaust...

But, I'm betting there's one of those model number tags on it...just covered with paint.

If there is, I'm gonna scream so loud when I find it you'll probably hear me at your place, whereever that might be... :eek:

Thanks again for all your help!!!

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW... Just found another marking on the prop that says 4x254x330... ??? I'm assuming that's the metric?

CATransplant

Admiral

The prop number doesn't help, I'm afraid. The other numbers don't help, either.

Someone who looks at your outboard may be able to tell you what it is. My best guess is that it's a 25 hp from the mid to late 1970s, but that's about as close as I can get.

It's a rope start, and not a lot of them over 25 hp were rope starts, except for some commercial models, which is a possibility. There were quite a few rope start 20 and 25 hp outboards made, though.

I'm not up enough on that size of engine to identify it from the accessories on it, but someone else may be able to tell you exactly what year it is.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I've got good news and bad news!

The bad news is, after about 2 hours of rubbing like heck with acetone I have determined that there is NOT a model tag on it anywhere, and especially not where it SHOULD be on the port side of the transom mount.

The good news is, I got all the paint of the back square section of the cowling and it was marked with the logo...

It IS in fact a 30hp Johnson motor...

Now the only question remains... What year is it? I've seen some pics of '86-'88 30hp Johnsons that looked exactly the same, so I'm guessing that time frame but no clue how big of a window it might be... At least I'm getting closer...

Does anyone know of any other way I might be able to identify the year without being able to find the model number?

CHUCK LEMAIRE

Recruit

I Have A Johnson Sea Horse Modl# J8rcta Ser# E5741942 That I Need A Fuel Pump For. Just Got This Motor So Don't No The Year Or Any Thing About It. It Does Run. Shot Gas In Carb And It Started Right Up. Need Help. Thanks.

CHUCK LEMAIRE

Recruit

Need Fuel Pump For Johnson Seahorse. Need To Find Out The Year. Model # J8rcta Thanks For The Help.

CATransplant

Admiral

I Have A Johnson Sea Horse Modl# J8rcta Ser# E5741942 That I Need A Fuel Pump For. Just Got This Motor So Don't No The Year Or Any Thing About It. It Does Run. Shot Gas In Carb And It Started Right Up. Need Help. Thanks.

Please start a new thread for your question. It's considered bad manners to post in someone else's thread, and people are less likely to answer you.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well guys, thanks so much for all the help! The bad news is I still don't know EXACTLY which model, but I have managed to narrow it down to two.

I've poured through tons of online diagrams and managed to narrow it down by differences in various parts of the models. Yeah I know, it's possible a part could have been replaced with one from a different model, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, based on the carb, fuel pump, and various other details I've narrowed it down to either a 1989 30RCE or a 1990 30RES with an early model fuel pump. I can't really find any other differences between the two to narrow it down to an exact one.

The good news is, in terms of parts I suppose the fact that they're all the same means it shouldn't matter anyway! So I guess I'm all set! Thanks again for everything!

Bogus

Cadet

rusirius, going through exact same exercise you have , difference being i have no cowl,but i do have an id tag , just for your info on the tag it says "emission Control Compliant 1998" mine looks identical to yours and was sold to me as a 30 hp Johnson...hopefully this may give you closure :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.