115etl78 sat for 9 months, What should I do?

KYLakebasser

Cadet
Hi,
I have a question. I have a 1978 115hp johnson, that I rebuilt completely about 4 years ago. I usually use my boat year round. But due to health issues , I haven't been able to do much for about 9 months. Is there anything I need to do, before starting my motor, since it sat for so long. I did rebuild the waterpump today, and changed gear lube. Im just not sure if I should fire it up, after setting for so long , and not being fogged etc. I sure don't want to cause any damage to my more or less new motor.Would it be a good idea to squirt some outboard oil in the cylinders ? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Basser

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115etl78 sat for 9 months, What should I do?

Take the plugs out of the float bowls on the carburetors and drain the bowls, then use the primer bulb to cycle fresh fuel oil mix through the hose and bulb and replace the drain plugs. Adding fogging oil through the spark plug holes will do no harm.

If you did not use fuel stabilizer, you might want to consider replacing the fuel.

KYLakebasser

Cadet
Re: 115etl78 sat for 9 months, What should I do?

Thanks ezeke, I allready drained all the fuel out of my onboard tank , also replaced fuel /water seperator filter. I will do as you suggested and drain/ flush carbs .