Treated or untreated wood for bunks?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I need to put new bunks on my trailer because they are not sufficient for my boat. It sits crooked so I just priced new 2 x 6 boards. Lowe's treated wood is a few dollars more than untreated. However, I am figuring the trailer will never be in the water for more than 30 minutes a year and the hull of the Batboat shields them from direct elements while in the drive way.

I intend to paint my wood bunks with glopped on cheap-o discount paint and put new carpet on them.

Will it make much of a difference to get the lower priced untreated wood?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Treated or untreated wood for bunks?

Is the cost of the paint as well as your time to apply it worth more than the extra cost for the pressure treated wood?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Is the cost of the paint as well as your time to apply it worth more than the extra cost for the pressure treated wood?

They'll be painted no matter the type of wood. The carpet will be gray and wood paint black like the trailer.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If you insist on painting,it is a good idea to use untreated wood,because pressure treated wood will take up to a year to dry up.And only then can you paint it.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Use untreated wood. Put several coats of spar varnish on the boards and then carpet the bunks. They will last many years.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

That is agood idea. :) The varnished wood with grey carpet would look better than black.

Jeep Man

Commander

Untreated for sure. A good coat of paint or varnish will hold up for years. Also, if your boat is aluminium, treated wood will cause corrosion on the hull.

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Treat and seal the cut ends of the boards especially well, follow what has been said already and you will be all set for many years.

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just a post similar to this, and the consensus what to not use treated wood as the treatment used by some will leach through the carpet and is corrosive to aluminum. I guess if it's a glass boat not problems.

Jim

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be redoing the bunks on my boat and I will be using untreated wood and will apply a product like "Thompson Water Seal" which is a clear product that is used on sundecks and then install the bunk glides from the old bunks. With bunk glides there is no need to install carpeting.