1998 Johnson 200 Hp Ocean Runner reliability

Del Coronado

Cadet
Currently looking at the possible purchase of a boat with a 1998 Johnson 200 Hp Ocean Runner on it. Don't know much about the engines. Were there problems with this year and model I should look for? What should compression be for this engine?
Thank you much for any input.

Del Coronado

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Johnson 200 Hp Ocean Runner reliability

i would look toward 90 psi, but more important is that they are with in 10 % of each other.

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

Del Coronado

Cadet

Thanks very much for the input. Did this year and model have any particular recalls or problems you are aware of?

Del Coronado

Richman

Seaman Apprentice

Del,

The biggest knock on this particular motor is its thirst for fuel. Other than that, my opinion is that they are pretty bulletproof.

junior009111

Recruit

ok here goes.the hull truth.2 stroke will torque out any 4 stroke any day.i have a 1998 200 hp johnson v6 ocean runner.i beat them out of the hole every time.clean your plugs:).they dont like to sit for long periods of time dude:mad:.i am a merchant marine by trade and we r gone for long periods of time.i have the boys at the boat yard turn the key on her every two weeks ,on the blocks ,with ears on her,or in a 55 plastic gallon bucket..will guzzel gas but that depends on how u r treating it too.use yama lube twc 3.it is a semi sinthetic 2 stroke oil.it does the engine the best.now i use the best 2 stroke oil on the planet.ROYAL PURPLE TWC3 TWO STROKE OIL.and also i use there gear case oil now.its the total bomb.its the best on the market.use crap lawn mower 2 stroke oil in it.get crap and proformance:(.learn my lesson the hard way.johnson 2 stroke oil is dog crap.most of all.if not the most important thing of all.valve tec gas treatments.de carb your valves once in awile OR USE VALVE TECH GAS TREATMANTS.IT HELPS A BIT ok.:D.gear case oil.look inside the gear case oil.shavings slamming her into gear and water.bad mixture.use a good gear case oil to help seperate it in your gear case.we all get it in any motor.its just a matter of time on how u change the oil and keep a eye on it.when it comes to boats. the word BOAT MEANS.Break Out Another Thousand:D.good luck.if u look for petroleum.look online in bulk.its cheaper than going to a boat yard and getting it from them.if u do get it from the boat yard.bring your own container.they get it in bulk.will sell it in bulk and its cheaper.yamalube can be found at a boat yard or marina.bring your own container.oh yea one more thing.carberator cleaner your carbs.spray a little down the carbs to keep them in good order.there is a book they have at west marine on this.but as for me helping u. i just saved u 40 bucks pal.see its two stroke vs 4 stroke out there.its like my old 1970 chevy chevelle (2 stroke)vs a cadilac(4 stroke).in the end muscle will win.one foot on the brake and one on the gas!!!! helll yea.we try not to drive 55 out here.lol.try to get a better prop for what u want to do.i got three of them.good luck

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Junior, You do know that motor doesn't have any conventional valves, that could get carboned up.

Do you also realize that spraying carb cleaner down the carb throat, does nothing?

Finally, I didn't think a 1970 Chevelle was a 2 cycle motor. Maybe your's burned so much oil it just looked like it was a 2 cycle motor?

Do you have any analysis for the rest of your claims? They are pretty far-fetched, IMHO...