SmartTow GPS

NarkoKrig

Recruit
I know there's a Smarttow ( smartcraft ) gps based Mercury system for the newer DTS engines.
I have a Mercruiser MCM 4.3L MPI with DTS, so my question is.

Can i install a Smarttow system in that, and will the speed control work? or is that only on bigger engines?

System is here: http://www.mercurymarine.com/otherproducts/smartcraft/smartcraftinaction/smarttow.php

I know it only says RPM, but there's also a GPS version.

The reason i ask is based on this:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/otherp...taglance/engines/sterndrives_and_inboards.php

Looks like digital throttle and shift is not supported on the 4.3L, but does that mean speedcontrol is not working?

I'm realy lost here, and it seems noone (or none i know) in Denmark can answer this. In denmark the prices are WAY higher than in the US, so i need to be certain (US price about 1000$ Danish price 2425$) Yes stuff is expensive here..... :(

Best Regards
Nicolas - Denmark

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: SmartTow GPS

NarkoKrig -
The SmartTow system works kind of the same way as Perfect Pass. It does not control the speed of the boat, but instead controls the RPM of the boat. In theory, the boat would go the same speed the whole time, since the throttle is set to the same position all the time. But, when turning, I do not know if this system would compensate for the speed loss while turning. I do not see anywhere on here that this system controls speed. It says that it will only display it.
One thing that you may want to look into would be a Perfect Pass system. Perfect Pass is what most wakeboard boats come with today. It is speed based versus RPM based (although there is an option to run as RPM based). So, I feel it maintains the smoothness of the pull better by always adjusting RPM to maintain the most accurate speed.

NarkoKrig

Recruit

NarkoKrig -
The SmartTow system works kind of the same way as Perfect Pass. It does not control the speed of the boat, but instead controls the RPM of the boat. In theory, the boat would go the same speed the whole time, since the throttle is set to the same position all the time. But, when turning, I do not know if this system would compensate for the speed loss while turning. I do not see anywhere on here that this system controls speed. It says that it will only display it.
One thing that you may want to look into would be a Perfect Pass system. Perfect Pass is what most wakeboard boats come with today. It is speed based versus RPM based (although there is an option to run as RPM based). So, I feel it maintains the smoothness of the pull better by always adjusting RPM to maintain the most accurate speed.

Thx for the response.

I just found the answer today. The SmartCraft gauges work just fine on the engine, but the SmartTow dosen't or the "tow" dosen't, since the 4.3L does not have the "Digtital Throttle and Shift". Only 5L and up supports this.

About SmartTow not being speedbased, is not true, there's two models, a rpm based and a gps based. I know the gps based is not showing on the mercury site, but it exsists. Got i confirmed again today by the local Mercury partner.

ebay link for the item here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180316238635&category=50437&viewitem=

I also got confirmed that the Perfect Pass StarGazer - Wakebord Edition with GPS will fit on the Mercruiser 4.3L, so thats what i'm gonna get. Unfortunaly it's 400$ more than the gps based SmartTow.

Regards
Nicolas

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good deal.
Thanks for the update on the information. I had never actually read up on the SmartTow system, was just going off of the basic information I was able to find on that Mercury site.
But, now I know for others who are looking into it, I can point them that way.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like a waste of money to me, just drive the boat.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds easier than it really is.
When you come down to it, and get really agressive with the sport, having the perfect tow can make a huge difference in the perfect sets. My cousins Malibu has a Perfect Pass system in it, and it is amazing. Just hit the throttle at the start and let the boat control the speed. All you have to do is steer. Makes it a lot easier to pay attention to the water and the rider and not having to look down at gauges all the time.
I couldn't justify the expenses on my bowrider, but if I had a boat that was worthy of the system, I wouldn't second guess getting it installed.

Last edited:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I know i like to drive my boat, not program it to drive me.

And i am not pro water skier, I just like to ski in the summer.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The main advantage isn't for the driver, we all know how to drive a boat, it's for the guy at the end of the rope.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly, the system is designed to help the rider get the best of it.

tommays

Admiral

ry%3D400

I can only say you must of never pulled a big guy that can make it hard to even keep a Correct Craft straight while trying to get through the course in the allowed time :)

ry%3D400

And there are some real downsides to being off 1 or 2 MPH :eek:

jryan15

Cadet

i went through the same delima on my sea ray 220 select last year... i really wanted speed control for wakeboarding (especially after getting up to 30mph once :eek: ).

i went round and round trying to figure out how to upgrade my sc1000 gages to the smart tow gages. i got shot down several times and finally bit the bullet and went with a gps based perfect pass setup. it was an excellent decision, and i couldn't say enough good things about it. everyone who's ridden with us wakeboarding have all commented on how great it is to not worry about too fast or too slow.

before my wife refused to drive anymore because it was too hard to watch the gages and watch for traffic. she doesn't mind at all now. it is much safer not having the driver focus on the speedometer or tach instead of the lake.

go for it!

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I know i like to drive my boat, not program it to drive me.

And i am not pro water skier, I just like to ski in the summer.

Obviously, you have never used it.

As a driver... as said above I only have to concentrate on keepign the boat straight, watching for crap in the water, watchign for other boats, and watchign to see whats coming up behind the rider... I appreciate not having to worry about throttle for constant speed.

As a rider, the main reason I have the boat I have, it ensure no matter who goes out with me, they can give me a good pull.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I guess i just never notice much, if the driver is going up and down a little in speed, I can feel it when they slow down, But It is not that big of a deal to me. This sounds like something that only the pros would really notice much. I mean I'm not goin out and doing back flips or anything.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I guess i just never notice much, if the driver is going up and down a little in speed, I can feel it when they slow down, But It is not that big of a deal to me. This sounds like something that only the pros would really notice much. I mean I'm not goin out and doing back flips or anything.

When you are jumping like everyon does on a wakeboard, any surge in the air can make for a very hairy and dangerous landing. Also, with Slalom and Boarding, consistant speed for smooth turns and edging is important. Not as important for two ski riding. Plus there is a big difference between what a small boat can make and what a 330+hp boat propped to pull with minimal changes in throttle.