Tohatsu 4hp 2 stroke gear shift snapped off !

Mick UK

Cadet
Hi All

I have a Tohatsu 4hp outboard and need some advice.

The gear shift lever has snapped, and I thought it would simply be a question of pulling it off and replacing it with a new one, but I have been told that this is a 4 hour job which involves stripping the power head and replacing the entire gear shift linkage mechanism?seems hard to believe!

Does anyone know if this is right and if so how much of a job is it for someone with reasonable mechanical skills and are any special tools needed?

Many thanks in advance for all advice received

Mick

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 4hp 2 stroke gear shift snapped off !

Mick,

In the US, the 4-hp models have been 4-strokes since about 1999. But no matter, the linkage and lever are very similar to the 2-strokes for the 4/5/6 family. We change several of these each season. That's because people set the motor down on the wrong side and break off the lever. Something to avoid in the future.

You can get a Factory service manual from you dealer. Likewise, the parts catalog, with very good exploded diagrams is on TG's website at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm

Yes, the shift rod is internal, so you need to work inside the driveshaft housing. Not nearly as big a project as some would have you believe. You need to pull the 6 base bolts (10 mm heads) that hold the power head to the housing, and the powerhead comes right off. Of course, you will want to keep track of the throttle linkages and such. Also, when you re-install the powerhead, use a new base gasket. Those base bolts may be a bit recalcitrant, so patience and a few drops of penetrating oil helps in removal. We apply anti-seize compound to the bolts when we re-install them.

As for replacing the lever itself, I would recommend replacing the 2 O-rings on the lever shaft, and of course use a fresh cotter pin. Be careful in disassembly so that you don't lose the detent ball and spring.

The biggest time consumer will be cleaning the old base gasket surfaces -- You want them completely clean, or you risk an exhaust leak at that gasket. We usually apply gasket sealing compound to the cleaned gasket surfaces.

That's all. No adjustments to make, not a huge undertaking. We usually charge less than 1 hour shop time for the complete job, including tank test afterward.

Mick UK

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 4hp 2 stroke gear shift snapped off !

Paul

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply I really appreciate it!

Well that doesn't sound too bad and I may just take it on myself. At least I know that it can be done in around an hour or so (probably a bit longer for a newb like me) but definitely not 4 hours like I was told by the workshop at my local boatyard.

They wanted to charge me ?190 ($265) plus parts!

'Glass door?' I hear you asking :)

Thanks again mate

Mick