Center Console VHF antenna location?

bradfordh

Cadet
I have a 20' center console. I have a garmin gps built in antenna. I installed a Icom 422. Both are on top of console about 2 maybe 3 feet apart. Now my problem is where do I put the 8' VHF antenna? On the side near the GPS or on the side near the radio? Its supposed to be three feet from the radio but what about the GPS? Can the radio and GPS be next to each other and the antenna be on the other end of the console? I need to put the antenna on the console because it would be in the way anywhere else.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Center Console VHF antenna location?

On my previous boat the antenna was mounted on the outside of the helm area on a walkaround. The GPS was maybe 18? from VHF antenna. Never experienced any problems with the setup

bradfordh

Cadet

Well I guess another way to ask is. Do I need to keep the vhf antenna away from the GPS or am I supposed to keep the VHF radio away from the GPS. Which one is going to cause interference with the GPS?:rolleyes:

waterinthefuel

Commander

The frequencies that each operate at are so far apart I can't imagine one interfering with the other at all.