sad time in newfoundland, canada. helicopter crashes into ocean.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: sad time in newfoundland, canada. helicopter crashes into ocean.

Yeah, very unfortunate news, very unforgiving water. I guess all of those guys had special training on how to exit the helicopter in case of a sea crash, all of them had survival suits...they were definitely trained from what I understood. However they said the debris field from the copter was pretty substantial meaning that it may killed all, but one on impact.
When he recovers I guess he'll be able to fill in the TSB on it.
Sad news.
BP

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Agreed - a very sad time.

I've been surfing some news stories and videos and it looks like the helo was a Sikorsky S-92, which is a very capable helo. It is apparently an outgrowth of the Sikorsky Blackhawk and Seahawk helicopters, so there should be a lot of experience with the basic engine/rotorhead design, control systems, etc. The pic on the Facebook site looks more like a Super Puma to me, but it is similar to the S-92.

I'm not a rotorcraft rated pilot, but I have flown one a couple times with a qualified pilot. Based on some reports that I found on the net, the aircraft declared an emergency, due to a gearbox oil pressure problem. That is a potentially catastrophic problem, because both engines in a helicopter typically deliver power to the drive system (main rotorhead and tail rotor), via the gearbox.

If the gearbox siezed, I would expect the helo to crash pretty quickly. If it only broke in a way that allowed the rotorhead to continue spinning, the pilots might have been able to perform what is referred to as an "autorotation." This manuever is basically a controlled crash that uses kinetic energy and the tendancy of the blades to continue turning as long as there is airflow through them (much like a toy airplane in the wind), to cushion the landing. Even if this occurred, however, if the tail rotor was not functional as well, an autorotation would not been very "controlled" at all.

At this point, my guess is that the crash was pretty violent. This would explain why there aren't more survivors. I haven't seen any reports on whether or not the emergency air bags were deployed, but if they were not, that might be further indication of a severe crash.

I have been to Saint Johns numerous times and always found the people to be warm and friendly. I'm sure that the bonds of family and friendship will help those who lost loved ones, but its still going to be a tough time for them. My thoughts are with all affected.

tallcanadian

Captain

yeah jay i agree that is was a violent crash. they found two life rafts inflated but were empty. the helicopter was seen floating upside down but soon sunk afterwards. they have found the helicopter laying on it's side on the bottom of the ocean. they are going to retrieve it hopefully in one piece. they will be doing dives soon to see if there are any bodies inside, which i suspect there are. the only survivor is in hospital in a coma. i would think a soft landing would have given the passengers time to get out. it is a s-92 that crashed.

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is a sad time for sure. Anytime someone dies on their way to work from circumstances they cannot control it is a tragedy.
My heart goes out to my Canadian bros' on the East coast!

puddle jumper

Captain

The news even said there were two BC people on board. Sad day on Canadian waters.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TC;
Tough time for you guys in NFLD. Of course we've been following things, as they happen. Also, our hearts go out to the families of the pilots from BC. Everyone in BC has had a tough one this year...Our Out-port people are really close to us,..even in NS. Good to see that all the men and women were brought back to thier mothers and fathers. Take care brother...

Kerry

tallcanadian

Captain

thanks rattle. luckily all the bodies were found. they also raised the wreckage, at least the main fuselage and hope to find out exactly what happened. the church for the service was packed totally. the only survivor is still in hospital and is not saying much. it's a sad time for all.

Jeep Man

Commander

Very hard on everybody, especially on the friends and family left behind. I was sad to hear that one lad was from my hometown of Marystown. I've been away for many years and therefore didn"t know him, but he was still a fellow hometown boy.