Best Fuel / Water Seperator For my 120 HP Evinrude

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put a new 3/8th fuel filter in my 120hp 1989 evinrude VRO outboard.

a clear one from baxters... Anyway, today i took the boat out for the 1st time, and had some trouble getting it started, i dont know much about boat motors, and it seemed like i over chocked it if possible... took about 10 min to get it going, i'm not certain if i was spos to choke the whole time trying to start her up, if just once or twice, then just reg turn of the key, i'm not certain...

Also was thinking it could have possibly been the new filter i put in, it seemed like it was having trouble staying full of gas, as if it needed alittle flow to get it going.

Anyway, i'm thinking about putting on a good fuel / water separator, who makes a good one ? there are lots of ones on ebay, just don't know who makes a good one.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best Fuel / Water Seperator For my 120 HP Evinrude

Ask for Racor and you will be fine....

Replicant71

Recruit

You might want to look into a fuel purifier (do an online search for "marine fuel purifiers"). They are used in conjunction with your primary filter to remove water and contaminates from your fuel. It would prevent clogging and extend the life of your fuel filter, so you won't have to change/clean as often. Just a suggestion. Thanks for reading.

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a new fuel/water separator myself and after pondering my choices I ordered the Moeller with the clear bowl at the bottom. This way, you can see the water separated and drain it out. Plus, if you are having trouble starting it, I would think you could see at a glance if the motor is getting fuel. At $65 it is more than the others that dont have the bowl, but much less than the Racor. Also, it filters down to 10 microns- some just filter 20 microns. I am not an expert, but it seems that if your existing filter doesnt stay full you probably have some sort of fuel delivery problem you should look into first. If you do go this route, pick up an extra filter right away, because (at least by me) no stores carry them on the shelves. Good luck and hope this helps.