Fri Night Outdrive Paint ???s

North Beach

Commander
OK, I got all fire up and decided to get the outdrive ready for paint. Mercruiser Type1 from 66. I've got it all cleaned up-brushed and sanded with 220 grit. A lot of the paint's still there but a lot of bare aluminum is also there. Got some zinc chromate and some Mercruiser Phantom black both in spray cans. My first question is should I be washing it down with 50/50vinegar/water as everyone says I should be doing with my hull. And I assume I need to thoroughly rinse if I do use the 50/50 solution.

Secondly, does anyone know of a way to get the danged trim tab off if the inside of the allen wrench nut is rounded out? I can be dangerous with a drill :D:D The plug is missing and the danged thing is all rusted up and the allen wrench spins freely. Also the trim tab moves about 15 degrees in either direction.

I'd like to get back at this so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fri Night Outdrive Paint ???s

If you do the 50-50 vinegar wash just let it dry..... then the z-c primer then paint.

As far as your trim tab ..... I have had one break off once and it is just a threaded piece of cast. I imaging you can grind it off and get to the threads and then just replace it ...... bolt and all. I know they DO NOT come with the bolt when you buy them...... and that tiny plastic plug is replaceable too.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The only reason you would wash it is to get rid of dust and that can be done with plain water, I believe the theory is the vinigar water will somehow help the paint stick to the aluminum but since you have etching primer I would skip that step,w ash it down if you want and be sure it is dry.

The primer isn't like gray primer as it doesn't fill or cover, just hit it with one good coat and that is good, let it dry really good then paint.

North Beach

Commander

Thanks guys! So I have another trim tab on a spare outdrive. It's bare aluminum also. I can paint it after installing it right?

maxum247

Lieutenant

No paint on the trim tab, it won't fight corrosion as effectively painted.

max!

North Beach

Commander

Thanks Maxum! I had this nagging feeling I wasn't sposed to paint it:D

Back to the dust shop for now!

Benny1963

Lieutenant

sand it down till it smooth with some 220 then water sand with some 600 wash with dwan and rinse very well dry it or blow dry with air make sure
.temp is around 70 use zinc chromate it doesnt take much chromate
just put several light coats on it let dry a least 24 hrs then if its a little ruff watersand with 800 or 1000 to smooth let dry completely paint with your choice of factory outdrive paint ,several light coats to cover let dry 24hrs then lighty sand again with 600 or 800 wet clean and dry then put one good solid coat on it to finish off ,check out the lower on my motor on resto threds
under bennyb its a evin with silver lower it was salt water lower and horrible
this is the third one ive done and the trick is useing zinc chromate and factory paint