Start of Lund Restoration...maybe

slbri

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone been reading all the wonderful info and decided to give this a go. :eek:

First off I own this 1979 or 78 Lund? Registration has it as a 1979 but this is the HIN #LUNL0550M78H. Can anyone tell me what the make of this is? I was thinking it was a Mr. Pike but then I saw some pic of an old 1978 VFR 17 and it looked pretty similiar. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1978-LUND-VFR-17-93685367

Well I am not the most handiest guy around so I imagine I will be needing tons of advice on how to do this restoration. My first question out of the gun is on the top starboard portion of this boat, above the water line there looks to be two or three aluminum plugs from the inside and some shoddy sanding and paint on the outside. To prep this boat for painting and for a nice smooth surface over some of those dings, does anyone have any additional info on the Lab-Metal product?http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Content.asp?id=2 I have questions as to is it really as easy as bondo? Apply, sand, feather and paint?

I want to do something similiar to Lundnisswa's restoration. I just don't know if I have it in me. I will post my pics as I have learned that if you want input and info you need to post pics.

My plans to start are to remove deck and water-logged foam and just see what the heck I am dealing with. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Hmmm cant seem to figure out how to post my pics.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Start of Lund Restoration...maybe

Welcome to iboats! You are in the right place to do your re-build/restoration.

Spend some time reading through the completed projects and you will see some fantastic results.

Posting pictures hmmmmmm look at http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32 and there are even step by step tutorials on pictures.

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

Ok second try with the walkthrough for posting pics.

Ok third time is the charm! I hope this isn't forshadowing things to come for my project.

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

HI and Welcome !!!!!

I use photobucket, make sure your pics are uplaoded at 640x 480, that way they fit nice on the page , Lot of the guys dont like it when they have to scroll across the page !! When you have uploaded them drag your curcer over the pic and on the dottom of the pic will appear 4 choices left click the bottom on [ IMG ] and the just post it in your post !!

Ok nice ride , I will be looking for more pics , let us know how its going !! John

slbri

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Start of Lund Restoration...maybe Pics included finally!

Hey guys thanks for the additional tips...please don't give up on me this early out of the gate!!

Any additional thoughts on my original questions? One more pic as well. :D

So is she worth saving? Or should I just forget the plug and send her to a watery grave?

Last edited:

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

Ok... I have a few more questions and took some pics to better explain. Basically just more follow up on my original questions. I just wish I could get some people to chime in.

Is the hull here too damaged to try and fix? Is this a fairly easy solution? Hammer out and apply lab-metal? I am a little concerned about the aluminum plugs, are they ok? I included more pics of those in detail. Would love to hear some comments on how to make those areas paint ready and more importantly structurally sound.

I actually have this boat for sale in SLC. Been trying to talk myself out of the restoration. But damn your guys' restorations can be inspiring. I am building the motor holder off the plans that someone posted on here. And will pull up this deck and see what I am in for. I sure hope it looks like some of the Starcraft aluminums I have seen on here.

Thanks in advance for some replies.
Brian

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This is what I would do with it (taking into consideration that this is a pretty beat up old boat).....remove the motor and then strip everything out of the interior. Everything. Seal all the seams with Gluvit. Put a new deck and transom in it. I wouldn't go overboard with sealing everything amazingly well. Maybe just coat all the wood with a couple coats of good oil based paint. Set it up with a center console....either fabricate something or try to find a used one. Mount a couple swivel seats in it and go fishing.

To do a restoration the caliber of Lundnisswa's I would want to be starting with a really nice hull.

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmm, that is kind of discouraging. You would think something could be done with this hull to make it look like new. I mean look what they do with automobiles after a wreck? I know its apples and oranges but still...

Well it is what it is. I saw someone mention scrapping their aluminum boat to a recycler? Any one have an idea what a 16.5 aluminum would fetch? Or as stated make her a nice fisher still and just not go too overboard? Only problem is if I start in on it, I don't want to do a half-arsed job.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I mean look what they do with automobiles after a wreck? I know its apples and oranges but still...

I think steel is much easier to reshape than thick aluminum. Plus I don't think the body filler would hold up too well being pounded on the water. My boat has one decent size dent in it and I didn't have too much luck pounding it out.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have rebuilt my boat twice, the first time in weekend increments, I fish every other week so on my off weeks I worked on the boat, the last time I did what you want to do and stripped it to the bare hull and started over.

Over Christmas I repainted it, have pics of the paint but not the rebuild, it really isn't that hard and you don't need to be super handy, just pay attention to what you pull out, they have already done the engineering, you just need to copy what was there.

I would price things out before starting though so you don't get into it and find out it is too expensive, it can get a little pricey, a single sheet of marine plywood is @ $80.

I have the extreme luck to work for a boat company and I am buddies with all the R&D guys so my rebuild cost me very little and I did alot of things I could never have considered if I had to pay retail for everything, most of the stuff on my boat was a vendor sample and was free and I am a welder so what they didn't have I could make.

Maybe figure out what you need and run through the iboats store and see what it will cost,you will find they have the best price on almost everything.

I can tell you there are few things more satifiying than taking out a boat you rebuilt yourself, no matter where you look you see something you did.

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

I think steel is much easier to reshape than thick aluminum. Plus I don't think the body filler would hold up too well being pounded on the water.

Yeah I hear that ...Again to that Lab-Metal product, no one has any experience with it? Looks like I may have to be the product tester for that on these forums.

5150 thanks for the reply. I hear you too. I imagine fishing is 10x better being out there and enjoying the 'fruits' of your labor. I guess the time has come to stop thinking about it and just do it! I mean did a field ever get plowed by some guy thinking about it? When it comes right down to it there is no substitute for good old fashioned hard work. ;)

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good luck with it, slbri. I'm also doing my first rebuild and I've found the guys on here to be tremendously encouraging and helpful. I'll be following along.

willyrocket

Seaman

Hey guys thanks for the additional tips...please don't give up on me this early out of the gate!!

I am sure the lund is saying the same thing.........

Dents add character, how many here have a pickup without dents?????:D

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

Well I kind of screwed up guys. I think I figured out why boats are referred to as females. You know 'she' and 'her' , 'old girl' too. Well as the saying goes..."Hell has no fury like a woman scorned". Here is my tale of wo.

I was trying to take the easy way out. I currently have an umbilical hernia and actually am going in for surgery next friday. I really want to tackle this rebuild but wife is giving me the 'not in your condition blather' So I saw this really sweet looking clean boat and thought I would pull my motor off of the Lund and and put it on this 1967 Seaflite. http://http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=5902291&cat=147&lpid=2 I actually have this boat back up for sale. I bought it for 750.00 and am selling it for 800.00 to recoup my gas and trailer jack I bought at harbor freight.

Well wouldn't you know the reason that there is no motor on it is the transom is shot. Everything else is beautiful and floor is absolutely solid. Son of original owner said they actually did the floor and took out all the old foam years ago. You think its the Lund? Is she feeling 'scorned' ? Anyways wife is none to tickled to say the least as now we have two non running working boats hanging around.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I have spent weeks learning about the transom and deck repairs on aluminums here and I don't know if I have it in me to try to learn and research the whole repair on fiberglass.

Talk about being in the dumps. I should have just stuck with the Lund. All in all though that Seaflite is still a pretty sweet boat.

Just in case you didn't want to go to the ksl link, I will post the pics of this boat here.

Brian

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Well I'd restore that. It looks sweet. Only thing is, even if they redid the deck you're still going to have to pull part of it up to do the transom, but it looks worth it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That boat is SWEET. A friggin' HARDTOP!!!! WOW! Now that one is worth the effort. Absolute classic. It doesn't look to me that removing the cap on that boat would be that difficult and with the cap off the transom job would be a breeze. Go for it.

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

I will try to post some pics of the transom area. Anyone have a link other than ooop's hull extention, that can apply to this boat as to how I should tackle it? I know there are tons but just trying to cut down on all the clutter so to speak. Hey at least I will have some good reading after my surgery. :D

Davinciman

Seaman

That's very nice! how much is the free-board on that vessel?
I think mine has a 20" draft
Besides the wind screen it looks a lot like my boat...same original colour scheme anyway.
I didn't see mine b4 it was hacked up but it had seats like yours for sure.
I'm looking for a top for mine but a hard top is something I haven't seen.
Pretty cool boat, good luck!

PS I think mine is '69... It was named "my ole '69" before I bought it.It has similar lines for sure, what length is it?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I think in the long run you'll be better of with the glass boat. The dings and dents in the tinny Lund are not just something you can pound out. They use hardened aluminum on those and it doesn't just bend it stretches (extrudes). The only way to get it flat is to cut it and then as you are pounding it back into shape you continue to grind until all the excess is gone and the edges of he cut meet evenly. After that you can tack weld it and patch it with a riveted aluminum patch on the outside and then fair that in with a bondo like fairing compound. It will never be perfect but it won't cause you to loose any fish.

Side note: You can't weld on hardened aluminum too much or you'll temper it and it will crack.

By the time you get done doing that you could be nearly done with a transom replacement.