carb adjustment question 35 Johnson

hey guys, really neat site. thanks.

I have a 1984, 35 hp Johnson, model # J35TELCRR

can someone tell me the correct way to adjust the carb? is the screw on the front of the carb, just above the throat the only one?

my idle is kinda rough, but smooths out upon opening up the throttle. seems like it is loading up.

Thanks, BG12

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: carb adjustment question 35 Johnson

that is the only one.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

if this does not improve it. suggest carb cleaning and rebuild kit.

thanks. i had read that earlier but didnt really understand it. what i missed was, lowering the rpms back down with the idle adjustment, not the ss.

how big of a deal is replacing the water pump on this motor?

it has not been run for 6 years, but the pump seems to be working fine.

would you suggest replacing it anyway?

tashasdaddy

the hardest part is getting to the shift rod connector back under the carb. the rest is straight forward. do not turn the shift rod. service manual here: http://www.outboardbooks.com/

one more question for now. this motor is a long shaft. i would like to raise it up for running the timber duck hunting. what should be the distance from the bottom of the boat to the horizontal plate. it is on a 1648 alumaweld jon. i heard 5'' somewhere, but that was on an older motor. BG12

tashasdaddy

the AV plate should be 1-2 inches above the bottom of the boat.

Attachments

• Keel to AV Plate 001.jpg
    Keel to AV Plate 001.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3